Roles and missions of the production manager
The production manager is a key position within an organization. He/she is responsible for overseeing and managing all aspects of production and operations of the company's business. He/she is responsible for managing finances, equipment, inventory, employees, and meeting company goals.
The main roles and responsibilities of the Production Manager are:
- Establish production schedules and ensure deadlines are met.
- Collaborate with other departments in the company to ensure production goals are met.
- Monitor and evaluate the performance of employees and production processes in order to take corrective action when necessary.
- Develop and implement production plans to improve the production process.
- Manage the company's inventory and stock levels.
- Analyze market trends and technological developments to ensure that the company remains on the cutting edge.
- Find ways to reduce costs and increase efficiency.
- Negotiate contracts with suppliers and customers.
- Ensure compliance with quality and health and safety standards
- Assessing risks and preparing contingency plans in case of emergency
The Production Manager plays a vital role in the success of a company's operations. Their job is to ensure that production is efficient and profitable while meeting company objectives and ensuring product safety and quality.
Production Manager Salary and Career Development
A production manager is regularly compensated for managing production and manufacturing operations. His or her salary is affected by several factors, including level of experience and responsibilities. In France, the gross annual compensation of a production manager is likely to evolve with experience according to the following ranges
- 0 to 2 years: between €35,000 and €45,000
- 2 to 5 years: between 45 000 and 55 000 €.
- 5 to 10 years: between 55 000 and 65 000 €.
- 10 to 15 years: between 65 000 and 75 000 €.
- More than 15 years: between 75 000 and 85 000 €.
A production manager can also plan a career evolution in jobs related to his function. Here are 5 possible careers in perspective:
- Continuous improvement and quality manager
- Human resources manager
- Production process analyst
- Project manager
- Operations efficiency and safety manager