Roles and missions of the materials engineer
Materials engineers are responsible for the design, evaluation and development of materials using scientific and technological techniques. Their mission is to find solutions to complex problems related to the choice of materials for various applications.
The main roles and missions of a materials engineer are:
- Develop special materials for various projects and applications.
- Evaluate the performance and properties of materials in relation to their use and application.
- Analyze material failures and poor performance and develop solutions to correct them.
- Develop and test materials that meet customer needs.
- Analyze and interpret results of materials testing and develop reports.
- Ensure quality of materials according to customer specifications.
- Develop processes and procedures to optimize materials development and production.
- Fulfill regulatory obligations for safety and quality.
- Become a materials expert and share knowledge with staff.
- Find innovative technological ways to improve materials performance.
Materials engineers must be well versed in engineering science and technology, mechanics and chemistry. They must also be able to communicate their ideas to colleagues and customers. This can be done through an oral presentation, a written paper, or an online presentation. Materials engineers must be able to solve complex problems and make informed decisions to ensure the quality of materials developed.
Salary and career development of a materials engineer
The salary of a materials engineer is generally very attractive and growing. Materials engineers work in a wide variety of fields, including mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, and materials engineering. Most materials engineers work for national or international companies and are paid well for their work. Here are the gross annual salary evolutions in France by years of experience for a Materials Engineer:
- 0 to 2 years: from 35 000 to 50 000 €.
- 2 to 5 years: from 50 000 to 65 000 €.
- 5 to 10 years: from 65 000 to 85 000 €.
- 10 to 15 years: from 85 000 to 100 000 €.
- More than 15 years: more than €100,000
In terms of career development, here are the 5 possible jobs for a Materials Engineer
- Mechanical Engineer
- Materials engineer
- Research and development engineer
- Production engineer
- Quality engineer.