Roles and Responsibilities of the Production Manager
The Production Manager is responsible for managing production processes and production teams, ensuring that quality standards and deadlines are met and that production runs efficiently, cost-effectively and safely.
Some of the main duties and tasks of a Production Manager / Production Director include:
- Direct and oversee production activities to ensure that all product specifications are met and that the highest levels of quality and service are achieved.
- Develop and implement production strategies to optimize production as well as procedures, policies and processes.
- Manage human resources to ensure production teams are well trained and follow safety procedures and practices.
- Develop long-term production plans and ensure they are implemented.
- Generate reports and analytical tools to monitor production performance.
- Ensure deadlines and costs are met and identify ways to improve efficiency and productivity.
- Coordinate production and distribution efforts with other stakeholders.
- Maintain quality standards and implement continuous improvements.
- Evaluate costs and performance and manage production budgets.
- Establish and maintain relationships with suppliers and customers.
Salary and career development of the production manager
A production director earns a gross annual salary according to his/her years of experience:
- 0 to 2 years: between 30 000 and 40 000 euros ;
- 2 to 5 years: between 40,000 and 50,000 euros;
- 5 to 10 years: between 50,000 and 60,000 euros;
- 10 to 15 years: between 60,000 and 70,000 euros;
- more than 15 years: more than 70,000 euros.
As a production manager, the career prospects are varied. Here is a list of possible jobs:
- Manufacturing Director;
- Plant manager ;
- Operations Manager ;
- Sales Manager ;
- Operations Manager.