Roles and missions of the Chemist
Chemists are scientists who study the properties, structure and chemical composition of materials and products. The missions and roles of Chemists are varied, and include:
- Conducting research on the chemical structure and composition of materials and products. Chemists study how chemistry and chemical reactions can be applied to the manufacture, use and marketing of products.
- Develop tests and analyses. Chemists may be required to implement tests to verify the composition and quality of products and materials.
- Provide technical advice. Chemists may help improve manufacturing and production processes by providing technical advice based on their knowledge and research.
- Develop products and materials. Chemists may be called upon to work on the development and improvement of products and materials, such as drugs, food additives, and building materials.
- Collaborate with other professionals. Chemists may work closely with engineers, physicians, and biologists to solve problems and develop products and materials.
- Write and publish reports. Chemists may be called upon to write and publish reports on their research and findings to contribute to research and the advancement of science.
Chemists are critical scientists in many industries, and their roles and missions are wide-ranging. They play a vital role in ensuring that products and materials are safe and of good quality.
Salary and career development of a Chemist
The salary of a Chemist is very varied and depends on experience and specialization. For a Chemist in France, here is a list of gross annual salaries according to experience
- 0 to 2 years: about 25 000 €
- 2 to 5 years: about 35 000 €.
- 5 to 10 years: about 48 000 €.
- 10 to 15 years: about €65,000
- More than 15 years: about 80 000 €.
The salary can increase further depending on the specialization and location. In addition, a Chemist can advance to different jobs in the field, such as:
- Chemical Research and Development Specialist;
- Analytical Chemistry Technician;
- Industrial Chemistry Technician;
- Technician in chemical materials and products;
- Chemical trainer.and at higher levels of remuneration.