Professional retraining guide

How to finance a skills assessment ?

Between 1200 and 2500€, the financing of the training of skills assessment carried out by a provider, is a subject! However, if you need to take a step back professionally and personally, to take stock of your experience, to retrain or to change your professional environment, this should not be an obstacle! Whatever your situation: employee, job seeker, public service employee... Here is a summary of the financial support available to carry out assessments.

Financing an assessment when you are an employee


The Personal Training Account allows you to acquire training rights in the form of euros throughout your professional life. If you choose this method of financing as part of a skills assessment, unless your employer agrees, you will have to carry it out outside your working hours.

Here are the different amounts of the CPF according to the employee's profile

  • 500€/year for employees working between 50% and 100% of their working time (35h/week).
  • In proportion to the hours worked, for employees working less than 50% of their time
  • 800/year for employees without a baccalaureate or level 3 diploma (CAP, BEP)
  • 300€/year for disabled workers in activity


To do a skills assessment, you can make your training request to your employer, who may be able to finance it for you via the OPCO, the organization that collects professional training costs. If your employer agrees with the realization of your skills assessment, the level of financial support will then depend on the professional branch to which your company is linked.

The Fongecif

The Fonds de Gestion des Congés Individuels de Formation is an interprofessional organization that allows employees to benefit from personalized support for their professional project. It allows, under certain conditions, to finance a skills assessment and can be carried out during working hours, by requesting an authorization of absence from your employer.

⚠️Pour be covered, your application for funding must be made at least 45 days before the start of the skills assessment at the Fongecif in your region.

👉 Want to know if you are eligible for the Fongecif? Check with the organization in your area.

Resignation for professional reconversion

If you have worked continuously as an employee for 5 years, you can opt to resign for professional reconversion. In order to benefit from this, you will have to prepare a file, which, once validated by the commission, will give you access to Pôle Emploi. To carry out skills assessments, Pôle Emploi can help you with the financing, via a CPF top-up!

👉You can also read our article: How to organize your resignation ?

The Competency Development Plan ( CDP)

Formerly called "Training Plan", the PDC is set up at the initiative of the employer, to develop the skills of its employees, and can include actions of skills assessment. If it is not the case, take this opportunity to ask for it ;)

The advantages ?

  • you keep your salary during your training
  • additional expenses are paid by your employer (accommodation, travel, meals).

⚠️ When the assessment is carried out within the framework of a CDP, a tripartite agreement must be signed between the employer, the employee and the skills assessment provider.

Financing your assessment when you are a job seeker


  • When you are unemployed, you can continue to use your CPF credit.
  • If you are short of money to finance the assessment, you can also contact your Pôle Emploi advisor to ask for a top-up to your account!

Financing your assessment when you are self-employed


Like employees and job seekers, self-employed workers also have access to the CPF, which amounts to 500€ per year, and their rights are calculated on a pro rata basis according to the time spent working during the year, if the activity was not carried out during the entire year.

⚠️ Another prerequisite for accessing the program is to be up to date with payment of your professional training contribution!

Financing your assessment when you are a public service employee


If you are a public employee, your training rights are counted in hours and not in euros: 25 hours/year if you work full time, and in proportion to your working time over the year if you work less than 35 hours/week.

The Professional Training Leave or PTC

To benefit from it, you must have worked full-time in the administration for at least 3 years. It finances training courses:

  • offered to civil servants to prepare for administrative competitions and to undertake a reorientation in the civil service.
  • there are other courses that are not offered to civil servants by the administration and that can be useful to you if you wish to move to the private sector.

What is the advantage of this system?

During your professional retraining, you continue to receive a salary for one year (85% of your gross salary).

How do I apply for it ?

To obtain it, you must make a written request to the administration at least 3 months before the start of the assessment. Don't forget to mention your periods of absence, the type of training you are going to take and the name of the organization providing it. Upon receipt of your letter, the administration has 30 days to give you an answer.

⚠️À At the end of your training, you are obliged to work in the public sector for a period equivalent to three times the period during which you received benefits. If you want to leave the public service, you are still entitled to request an exemption from the joint administrative commission, the CAP.

💡 The CFP can be cumulated with the Personal Training Account.

The Conseil en Evolution Professionnelle, a free service for all

The CEP is a free service that offers personalized advice to take stock of one's professional situation. It allows for an analysis of one's skills, an assessment of one's achievements, and if necessary, assistance in the feasibility and construction of one's career development project (retraining, resumption or creation of an activity, etc.). The advisor can go so far as to accompany the person in the choice of training courses appropriate to their project.

The advantage of this system?

Support from a professional: depending on the organization and your needs, you can have one or more individual meetings.

⚠️ Unlike the CPF, it can only be carried out outside working hours.

To benefit from the CEP, you just need to make an appointment with the operator in your city.

👉 Find my CEP operator and learn more about the system

👉 For executives: make an appointment with APEC

To take action

👉Here are the training organizations offering assessments.

To go further

👉 The guide to career transition in impact

👉 How to finance your professional retraining ?

👉The 32 professions recruiting for a career change in the impact industry