Shanghai Young Bakers (SYB) is a charity program providing free training in French bakery to marginalised Chinese youth aged 17 to 23, enabling them to find qualified jobs and lead independent lives after graduation.
SYB empowers disadvantaged young adults who had to drop out of school because of their family situation (parents’ death, sickness, disability or imprisonment) and are excluded from stable employment.
Thanks to the generosity of our sponsors and donors, SYB students follow a one-year training where they learn valuable skills such as French bakery and pastry, Chinese bakery, life skills and English, combined with practical internships at 5-star hotels. Due to the high demand of qualified bakers on the Chinese market, 30 students each year start a new life as bakers or pastry chefs and are able to support themselves and their families.
The charity program was founded in 2008. In order to increase its financial stability, since end 2011 SYB operates a social enterprise program, that offers half-day bakery classes, bread & pastry catering, and technical consulting services to individuals and companies wishing to contribute to the success and sustainability of the program.
SYB is managed by a small but dynamic French-Chinese team, and operates under the administrative governance of Chi Heng Foundation.
The position – Program director
Program director provides strategic
support to the organisation by leading and managing all training and
educational aspects of the program, in coordination with the program educational
partners and under the guidance of the Executive Director.
Program director should work towards maximizing the students’ training
opportunities and facilitating their integration into the working world, in
particular by ensuring (1) the charity nature of the program, (2) the high
quality of the training, and (3) the long-term sustainability of the organization.
· Participate in setting the vision and landmarks for the next five years, ensure planning and implementation
· Manage relations with training & education partners
· Manage and coach the training/educational staff (4 teachers) in their everyday work and in their personal professional development; set up career plans
· Liaise with partner and potential partner NGOs to receive student applications; review and improve recruitment material as appropriate (April-July)
· Together with the teachers, review candidates and conduct interviews to select 32 students, and help organize their arrival in Shanghai (July-August)
· Coordinate and supervise curriculum design, program implementation and training organization, for all areas including
· Technical bakery & pastry training
· General professional skills (hygiene, fire safety, food safety, first aid, interview…)
· English language
· Soft skills and character development (communication, teamwork, public speaking, financial management, sex education…)
· Monitor and encourage students’ psychological well-being and overall progress, including during their internships, together with the social educator and bakery teachers
· Manage any student-related emergency (in particular, physical, emotional, social, and professional)
· Evaluate training quality and lead improvements
· Manage internship-related issues with the concerned hotels/bakeries partners
· Negotiate and follow-up on partnership renewal; lead the search for new internship partners
· Oversee design, content, planning & updates of all communication material, both offline and online, including social media postings (Wechat, weibo, facebook…)
· Ensure promotion of the program and sponsors’ visibility
· Organise program’s participation in bakery-related exhibitions, shows, competitions and focused social events
· Aid the selection of two new graduates/students to be trained as SYB’s future bakery trainers
· Work towards raising the quality standards at SYB Baking Centre to support the professional as well as commercial developments of the program;
· Stay aware of cooperation opportunities with other NGOs to increase social impact; for example, by expanding the “Train-the-Trainer” program with like-minded NGOs
Please send us your application (CV + short cover letter) by email on firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.