Roles and tasks of the territorial agent
Territorial agents are full-time or part-time employees assigned to missions of general interest within the remit of the State, regions, departments and municipalities. They are responsible for implementing public policies and actions designed to improve the well-being of citizens. The main roles and missions of local government employees are to
- Participate in development projects and the implementation of public policies.
- Ensuring the smooth running of administrative and legislative procedures.
- Monitor and control public programmes and budgets.
- Ensuring that laws and regulations are respected and applied.
- Assist residents with their administrative formalities.
- Providing customer service and technical support.
- Manage human resources, finances and IT systems.
- Participating in the preparation and organisation of events.
- Developing procedures and protocols to ensure the safety of employees and users.
- Participating in training and raising public awareness.
- Helping to promote cultural and sporting activities.
- Manage buildings, infrastructures and public services.
- Welcoming and monitoring users of public services.
- Developing and implementing innovative projects.
- Participating in performance evaluation and monitoring procedures.
- Providing expertise and advice to local elected representatives.
Local government employees play an essential role in ensuring the smooth running of public administrations and the implementation of public policies. They also help to promote cultural and sporting activities, to welcome and look after users of public services and to ensure the smooth running of public services.
Salary and career development of a local authority official
The salary of a local authority employee varies greatly and depends directly on the position they hold and where they work. The salary scale for local authority employees is made up of several levels, from good to very good. Gross annual pay can vary according to a number of criteria. Here is a list of changes in gross annual salary in France by years of experience for a local authority employee:
- 0 to 2 years: between €19,000 and €22,000 gross per year
- 2 to 5 years: between €23,000 and €25,000 gross per year
- 5 to 10 years: between 26,000 and 28,000 euros gross per year
- 10 to 15 years: between 29,000 and 32,000 euros gross per year
- Over 15 years: between 33,000 and 37,000 euros gross per year
There are many possible careers for local authority employees. Here is a non-exhaustive list of possible careers:
- Public finance officer ;
- Administrative officer
- administrative manager
- Administrative and financial director;
- General secretary for local authorities.