Roles and missions of the quality manager
The quality manager has varied and complex roles and missions. He is responsible for maintaining and developing the quality of the company's products and services.
The following is a non-exhaustive list of the main tasks and missions he/she is responsible for:
- Develop and implement quality policies and procedures to improve products and services;
- Support and coordinate quality related activities;
- Ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements;
- Manage the customer complaint registration system;
- Analyze and resolve quality issues and determine root causes of defects;
- Develop product and process control procedures;
- Organize internal and external quality audits;
- Develop control and measurement techniques to improve quality;
- Train personnel in the use of quality systems;
- Design and implement continuous improvement systems;
- Ensure control and monitoring of material and product flows;
- Develop reports on quality, performance and results, and present recommendations for process improvement;
- Establish and maintain relationships with suppliers and partners.
The Quality Manager must therefore be an experienced professional with an excellent knowledge of quality systems and standards. He/she must also demonstrate leadership, organization and good interpersonal skills to direct and motivate his/her team.
Salary and career development of a quality manager
The salary of a quality manager is very interesting and evolves according to the experience and skills of the person. In France, here is the evolution of the gross annual salary according to the years of experience:
- 0 to 2 years: between 50 000 and 60 000 €.
- 2 to 5 years: between 60 000 and 70 000 €.
- 5 to 10 years: between €70,000 and €90,000
- 10 to 15 years: between 90 000 and 100 000 €.
- More than 15 years: more than 100 000 €.
As a quality manager, you have the possibility to evolve professionally and to specialize in more varied jobs. Here are a few examples of possible jobs with a view to career development:
- Quality manager
- Quality expert
- Quality manager
- Quality purchasing manager
- In charge of the continuous improvement of processes.