The Organization and Role
About Access Now
Access Now is a growing international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, including issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our policy, advocacy, technology, and operations teams have staff presences in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East/North Africa (MENA), North America, and South/Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
About this role
The Operations Coordinator-Germany coordinates the human resources, and the financial and administrative processes for our regional team operations in Germany. Noting there is a balance between the varying functions below, the typical allocation of time and investment is approximately 60% people/human resources, 25% finance, and 15% administrative responsibilities. The Operations Coordinator works closely with a diverse collection of team members based in Germany, with our global Operations Team comprised of Finance and HR/People groups, and with our Global Director - Finance. The Coordinator reports through our Belgium-based European Operations & Compliance Director, with a matrix reporting relationship through our US-based Global Director - People Experience.
You are excited by Access Now’s mission, and eager to work for a growing human rights organization. You are an enthusiastic, detail-oriented and organized individual with a strong team spirit, who can work efficiently and effectively in a global, fast paced, multicultural organization. You are great at problem-solving, and bring creativity and positivity to your work. You have experience in human resources management in Germany, as experience in finances (in particular payroll bookkeeping) and general administration (including office management).
What you will do
- Provide general support, tools, and advice to regional teams and managers around professional development, coaching, and performance management
- Support managers in the coordination of performance management processes that include scheduling, goal-setting, facilitation of peer feedback, and completing annual reviews
- Assist managers and teams with identification of, and access to, professional development resources and experiences
- Support strong organizational culture through close coordination with regional teams and managers with respect to the Organization’s core values and policies that intersect with work/life balance, equity and inclusion, and anti-harassment commitments
- Provide country- and region-specific support to Team Members around security challenges or considerations with regard to conducting human rights/civil society work on the ground
- Drive organizational improvement through implementation of strategies aligned with strategic and operational work plans, and with Team Member feedback surveys
- Serve as initial point-of-contact for local issues and grievances, and facilitate access to HR/People resources for local team and managers
- Ensure effective retention through active and hands-on engagement with regional teams, managers, and other HR/People team members
- Support recruitment and outreach efforts for key roles through use of automated hiring tools (HRIS), coordination with regional civil society and education partners, and through leverage of existing team member relationships and talent
- Serve as onboarding lead and primary contact for new Team Members in Germany
- Assist in the proper offboarding of Team Members at separation of employment and/or contract engagement
- Work closely with internal, and external labor and employment partners, to ensure compliance with applicable employment regulations, and research regulations as needed
- Participate in HR/People, Operations, and other cross-functional meetings to support organisational strategy
- Serve as a contributing Team Member to various projects around HR policy, systems design, industry benchmarking, and implementation of annual work plans, on a national, regional and global level
- Manage HR data, and related processes, through effective use of the Organization’s HR information system
- Manage payroll process and benefits schemes
- Advise local team on applicable policies and procedures, staying up-to-date on new and evolving processes
- Coordinate payment of payroll and other personnel related expenditures; third party invoices; staff expense reimbursements; and credit card reconciliations etc
- Provide support to the Finance team for bookkeeping as it relates to payroll, third party invoices etc.
- Maintain and ensure implementation of financial processes, policies and trackers
- Support audit processes, financial reporting and budgeting processes as needed
- Maintain Access Now’s registration in Germany (in particular with the commercial register, trade office and labor authorities, as relevant)
- Coordinate logistics of co-working office space in Berlin - and related lease contract, office supplies and equipment
- Manage contracts and relationships with service providers and subscriptions etc
- Provide administrative and financial support to the travel logistics of Germany-based Team Members; e.g. bookings, calculating per diems, visa requests etc.
- Provide event production support for events held in Germany, including liaising with caterers and vendors, tracking and reconciling budgets
This is a full-time role based in Germany. At this time most Access Now Team Members are working through hybrid office arrangements, combining remote at-home work with intermittent use of offices and/or co-working spaces. The successful candidate must possess the right to work in Germany.
Access Now offers competitive compensation - in line with skills, preparation, and depth of experience - and benefits packages that align with our regional and office presences. Anticipated, initial placement within the salary range for this role is between €3,800 and €4,500 EUR gross monthly.
Benefits for this specific role include paid private healthcare scheme coverage, and access to a complementary pension scheme with employer-paid contributions. Regardless of location, all Team Members benefit from a strong global culture aligned around:
- Work-life balance…including a generous paid time-off program between 36 and 40 days annually
- Professional development and growth opportunities
- Extensive workplace flexibility
- Organizational resilience and support for all team members, including paid family leave and employee assistance programs
- Connection to a diverse, global team of passionate, principled professionals
- Opportunities to recharge (including one month of paid refresher leave after 4 years)
How to Apply
- Please submit the following documents:
- Résumé/CV (removing all personally identifying information such as age, gender, marital status, address, and photo)
- Thoughtful cover letter outlining your suitability for this leadership role, with particular attention to your experience aligning to the core functions
- Our hiring teams review applications submitted through our Career Openings page; email submissions are not accepted. Please note that if you are applying via a link in a 3rd party system (examples: Indeed, Glassdoor, LinkedIn), be sure that you are properly uploading a distinct Cover Letter and a separate CV/Resume.
- In order for us to communicate with you on the status of your application, please add apps.bamboohr.com to your contacts list, and check spam or junk folders so that you do not miss updates from us.
We are a global human rights organization committed to inclusivity and equity, and seek the most talented team members who bring their true selves, with diverse backgrounds, cultures, perspectives, and experiences. We are interested in receiving applications from people who consider themselves as under-represented in their talent communities. As an equal opportunity employer, we value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status. Our commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.