The Organization and Role
About Access Now
Access Now is a growing international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, including issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our policy, advocacy, technology, and operations teams have staff presences in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East/North Africa (MENA), North America, and South/Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
Hosted by Access Now, RightsCon is the leading global summit on human rights in the digital age. It’s where the world’s human rights experts, business leaders, technologists, engineers, investors, activists, and government representatives come together to share ideas, build strategies, showcase new technologies, and create tomorrow’s internet. It is an energizing reminder of the existence of a powerful global digital rights community that is determined to defend human rights and keep the internet open and free.
About this role
The Design Lead manages work on branding, visual design, content creation and website management for RightsCon’s digital media engagement. The Design Lead creates meaningful and impactful visuals and develops, tests, iterates, and implements assets for web-based interfaces, and assists with UX research, improvement, and UI/UX prototyping tasks for the RightsCon website, platform, and other products.
Reporting to the RightsCon Director, the Design Lead works closely with the RightsCon Communications Manager and other members of the RightsCon team to build a strategic and creative design process for communicating with a network of 20,000+ human rights and technology experts. This role also collaborates with Access Now’s Design and Creative Production team on a regular basis on digital and material production.
What you will do
- Review and develop the strategic brand identity of RightsCon and generate visual assets to communicate about each event, the community, and opportunities for engagement
- Create visual storytelling for key touchpoints and events in the RightsCon cycle, highlighting programmatic tracks and themes, as well as outcomes
- Actively engage with the RightsCon Communications Manager and the rest of the RightsCon team to deliver finely designed, compelling content and products, especially in the form of social media hooks, visually intriguing mailers, easy-to-digest infographics, elegant reports, digital and physical posters and flyers, and more
- Support web development needs for rightscon.org, including rapid design and editing of web page layout and campaign sites
- Develop and create graphics, icons, visual elements, typography, interface design for websites, and other innovative media
- Respond to daily time sensitive requests for graphic design and visual elements from the RightsCon team, including taking action on feedback in order to deliver refinements in a timely manner
- Support and develop long-term design and branding projects
- Propose creative solutions to online engagement for RightsCon and other upcoming engagement opportunities
Skills, education, and mindset you will bring
- At least five years of relevant design working experience, with exceptional graphic design and digital content creation skills
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite applications, especially Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and After Effects
- Rich experience in wireframing and prototyping tools, such as Figma and Balsamiq
- Skilled in crafting presentation materials with Google Docs and Office
- Competent in working with WordPress
- Knowledgeable of HTML, CSS, and front-end best practices, especially on web accessibility
- Able to tackle challenges swiftly and effectively in the fast-changing phases of the projects
- Experienced in designing for communities or movements with a diverse, cross-sector membership
- Strength in communicating with a wide range of people from around the world
- Empathetic and willing to learn from other cultures, in order to drive inclusion and respect, across relevant international human rights and technology issues, and wide-ranging cultures
- Flexible in responding to needs and requests of a global team
- Energetic and mission-driven
- Appropriate education and work preparation for the role, with bachelor or master degree equivalent in UX, Graphic Design, Interaction Design, HCI, Design or a related field preferred;
- Helpful: Possess beginner or intermediate motion graphic and / or video editing experience
This is a full-time position, ideally based in Berlin, Brussels, New York City, San José (CR), Toronto (CAN), Tunis, or Washington, DC, with some flexibility for remote work locations. At this time Access Now Team Members are working remotely hybrid remote schedules, with a likely return to existing offices in 2022. The successful candidate must have the legal right-to-work in the location in which they will be based. We are unable to sponsor visas or relocations for this role.
Access Now offers competitive compensation in line with skills and experience, and benefits packages that align with our localities. Initial placement within the salary range for this role is anticipated between $5,800-$6,250 USD gross monthly, and will be determined by depth of experience and preparation. Benefits for this specific role, if filled within the US, include paid healthcare - medical, dental, and vision insurance - as well as access to a 401k retirement savings program match. If filled in one of the other locations listed above, salary and benefits will align to the corresponding region accordingly. While specific compensation, insurance, and other benefits vary by region, all Access Now Team Members benefit from a strong global culture aligned around:
- Work-life balance...including a generous paid time-off program between 36 and 40 days annually
- Professional development and growth opportunities
- Extensive workplace flexibility
- Organizational resilience and support for all team members, including paid family leave and employee assistance programs
- Connection to a diverse, global team of passionate, principled professionals
- Opportunities to recharge (including one month of paid refresher leave after 4 years)