Context and Position Overview
JOGL is working with various stakeholders to promote and strengthen open science and open technology in Africa. The Project Assistant will play a key role in advancing this mission by supporting the Regional Manager to implement active projects and organise Community engagement events with our partners. You will have the opportunity to demonstrate and strengthen your project planning, communication, and online collaboration skills in a fast-paced globally distributed working environment.
You will be working closely and remotely with the Regional Program Manager, regional partners, and the JOGL global team (visit the team section on our website). We convene regularly (weekly and bi-monthly meetings) for the regional as well as the global teams, respectively, in order to coordinate and facilitate seamless development of the projects and programs hosted on the JOGL platform.
- Support Program Manager to implement Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) project
- Organise workshops, Community events and meetings for JOGL Africa
- Identify potential partners and collaborators for JOGL Africa
- Support the growth and coordination of the JOGL community in Africa, envisaged to be a pan-African network of partners involved in Open Science, Innovation and Education activities to advance the SDGs
- Other deliverables depending on needs that arise, time and budget permitting
Qualifications and Experience
- Preferably based in Africa and passionate about African development
- Preferably having a STEAM or humanities background, demonstrating knowledge of the academic, entrepreneurial, and development landscape in Africa
- Prior project/event planning and implementation experience
- Demonstrable leadership skills, including experience working with various stakeholders
- Strong computing and online collaboration skills
- Excellent written, spoken, and visual communication skills
- Can-do mindset
- Team player with the confidence to be proactive when needed
- Fluent written and spoken English (JOGL working language). Fluency in French, Arabic, Portuguese, or Kiswahili is a plus
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.