Responsible to: Market Development Manager France, regular exchange with the global Marketing Communications team
Salary and benefits: Commensurate with experience
Location: France (ASC supports remote working and can be flexible in the location)
Contract: 6-month contract for a self-employed professional (3 days/ week)
Date written: September 2020
The Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC) is an independent, not-for-profit organisation established in 2010 to set and operate global standards for responsible aquaculture. Certified farmed products are promoted to consumers through the use of its ASC-logo.
The aquaculture industry is growing strongly and is already supplying more than half of all seafood consumed worldwide, but this growing demand increases the environmental and social footprint associated with this expansion. The ASC certification and labelling programme incentivises improved farming practices by promoting the benefits of responsibly farmed seafood and encourages an industry towards achieving environmental sustainability and social responsibility.
We work across the globe with aquaculture producers, seafood processors, retail and foodservice companies, scientists, conservation groups and the public to make it very easy to recognize and buy farmed seafood that meets the highest environmental standards.
What are we looking for?
ASC has experienced tremendous growth over less than a decade of operations. The French market has known a spectacular growth over the last few years and became one of the most important markets for ASC since 2017.
As the number of products continues to grow, so too does the importance of communicating about responsible aquaculture and the role of the ASC programme in achieving better environmental and social outcomes for the industry.
In order to further drive success of the programme in France, we are seeking a dynamic, hands-on Communications Manager. In close collaboration with the ASC Market Development local manager, and in alignment with the ASC Global Marketing & Communication Strategy, it is the task of the Communications Manager to increase the public profile of the ASC programme and its logo in the French speaking markets and to contribute to a growing trust in what the programme brings in making aquaculture more responsible.
The ideal candidate will be native in French and fluent in English and have experience developing and implementing a comprehensive communication plans, creating communications materials targeted to diverse audiences, managing emerging issues in traditional and social media and a solid experience in building up relations with the press. The ability to communicate to a high standard, both in writing and verbally is a must, as is the ability to anticipate and act upon critical issues concerning aquaculture and ASC. You are a team player, who understands how to deliver upon your responsibilities in the relevant markets, while maintaining a strong and consistent profile that is in line with global strategies.
- Support marketing/commercial campaigns promoting the ASC programme by creating and executing a communication / editorial plan
- Develop and execute, in close collaboration with the ASC team for France, a communication strategy that supports growth of the programme in these markets
- Translate the strategies into an operational planning and take the lead in executing, showing a great understanding of the communication preferences in the specific markets
- Measure and monitor the set communication targets for the French market
- Lead on establishing and developing the French ASC social media accounts (Facebook and Instagram), in close collaboration with an external agency and the global communications team
- Lead on content management for the French ASC website
- In coordination with market development managers monitor emerging issues related to ASC’s work and industry trends
- Lead on issues management communications including development of Q&As and key messages to address areas of concern
- To the extent possible develop proactive and pre-emptive tactics to resolve issues
- Monitor media channels and the wider communication landscape to understand opportunities to proactively position the ASC programme in those channels
- Respond to media inquiries and interview requests
- Create content for press releases and byline articles, partly by taking selected items from ASC’s global communications and translate and adapt for the French market
- Ensure the technical and science-based strengths of the ASC programme are accessible and engaging for all audiences
Technical Skills and Experience
- A degree in a relevant field, preferable a communications or media discipline, advanced degree or equivalent preferred
- Solid proven and relevant working experience in a similar role in a company, agency or organization bringing a media-network with you
- Proven responsibility for developing, managing and/or operating communication, PR and (social) media plans, preferably in an NGO or food/retail related context
- Great computer literacy, including experience with analytical programs (Google Analytics, Kissmetrics) or engagement tools (HootSuite), experience with graphic programs (Photoshop, InDesign etc.) an advantage.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills – a very good copy-writer – with the ability to translate complex and technical content into non-expert messages for the selected audiences across diverse channels.
- Experience across the full range of communications channels, including digital and social media platforms in support of objectives
- A good understanding of media needs and media relationships especially in France
- Native French speaker and fluency in English as the ASC’s organisational language.
- Pro-active, articulate, creative, passionate, flexible and tenacious: ability to get results and to be persistent and enthusiastic in achieving these.
- Good sense for language as well as for design.
- Strong project management, planning and time-management skills with a pro-active “can-do” personality with willingness to take initiative to improve current practice.
- o Ability to build effective relationships with staff, agencies and service providers and commercial and other partners, with a people-centred and consultative approach to business and work essential
- o Affinity with and interest in the ASC’s mission and values and above all a positive, enthusiastic and fun colleague to work with.
Application details: Please e-mail your cover letter and CV (in English) as well as a writing sample (in French) to: Cliquez sur candidater pour accéder aux informations.
Selection process: Your CV, cover letter and writing sample will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Short listed candidates will be invited to take part in an interview. Successful candidates might be asked to prepare additional written materials. The vacancy will be closed if a suitable candidate is found.