Venture Volunteering Opportunity at Ashoka UK
Time commitment: Three project based placements available annually: January-April, May-August, September-December, Full Time (with some flexibility)
Location: Ashoka UK’s office at 15 Old Ford Road, Bethnal Green, London, E2 9PJ
Volunteer position – expenses covered: London Travel Card Zones 1-2 + £5 per day for lunch
Please note that you must be eligible to work in the UK to apply for any paid or unpaid position at Ashoka UK.
Ashoka is the world’s largest association of social entrepreneurs. More than that, Ashoka is on an audacious mission - to create a world where everyone is a Changemaker, i.e. a world where everyone has the agency and skills to make a positive change. It is only in such a world where the solutions will outrun our social problems. With its global network of over 3000 leading social entrepreneurs (Ashoka Fellows), 10,000 youth ventures, 180+ Changemaker schools, and 30+ Changemaker campuses - as well as a community of 20,000+ innovators on Changemakers.com - Ashoka empowers young people with the skills to create and drive solutions for the good of all, and helps build and evolve enabling environments - schools, universities and organizations - to help them thrive in a world of constant change.
Role and Responsibilities
The Venture programme is the search and selection process of new Ashoka Fellows. We are conducting research into the most innovative social entrepreneurs in the UK. We’re looking for someone who can investigate promising candidates, and make a strong, detailed case for the best candidates. The role consists of managing the pipeline of candidates, doing in-depth research on potential candidates, co-leading interviews with the Venture manager, making a final decision on candidates in weekly pipeline meetings.
Before selection panels the Venture team compiles research, does benchmarking, site visits, reference checks and write extensive documents on a candidate’s work. As part of the Venture team you will decide who the next Ashoka Fellows will be!
As our Venture Manager also manages the Ashoka Support Network, a community of business leaders giving Ashoka and its Fellows financial and strategic support, the candidate for this position will have the chance to get involved in both programmes.
Our new team mate will ideally have experience in the social sector and a personal track record of taking the lead. We hope that they will be as excited as we are to build Ashoka’s community.
Meet The Team:
You’ll love working with the Ashoka UK Team! We’re a diverse group – who are passionate about the social entrepreneurship sector. We always support ‘out of the box’ thinking and will make sure that you have space to develop your ideas and that you take initiatives on your own projects.
Scope of Work
· Carrying out research into leading social entrepreneurs in the UK
· Evaluating candidates with the Venture team and presenting research on short-listed candidates in the form of a concise ‘profile’
· Assisting the co-ordination of annual Fellow Selection Panels
· Attending networking events to raise Ashoka UK’s profile and increase the number of applications
· Meeting with leaders in the non-profit / venture philanthropy world to build our network of nominators
· Supporting the UK team with database management
Required Skills and Experience
· Fluent spoken and written English
· Demonstrated track record in producing high quality written materials
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
· Ability to work productively, proactively and independently, on own initiative
· Excellent time management skills
· Organised and detail-oriented
· Experience in the citizen sector, either as a social entrepreneur or a volunteer, trustee etchttp://uk.ashoka.org/changemaker-jobs