Communications Volunteer Opportunity at Ashoka UK
Time commitment: Two project based placements available annually: January-June, June- December, Part Time (with some flexibility)
Location: Ashoka UK’s office at 15 Old Ford Road, Bethnal Green, London, E2 9PJ
Volunteer position – expenses covered: London Travel Card Zones 1-2 + £5 per day for lunch
Please note that you must be eligible to work in the UK to apply for any paid or unpaid position at Ashoka UK.
Ashoka is on an audacious mission - to create a world where everyone is a changemaker, i.e. a world where everyone has the agency and skills to make a positive change in their families or communities. It is only in such a world where the solutions will outrun our social problems. With its global network of over 3000 leading social entrepreneurs (Ashoka Fellows), 10,000 youth ventures, 180+ changemaker schools, and 30+ changemaker campuses - as well as a community of 20,000+ innovators on Changemakers.com - Ashoka empowers young people with the skills to create and drive solutions for the good of all, and helps build and evolve enabling environments - schools, universities and organizations - to help them thrive in a world of constant change.
Role and Responsibilities
Do you live in the digital sphere? Are you the first to hear about the next big thing in social enterprise? We are looking for a tech savvy, creative Communications Volunteer to join our team at Ashoka UK. We’d love to hear from you if you love social entrepreneurship and innovation, and we’re keen to find someone to provide ongoing core support to all aspects of Ashoka’s internal and external communications and events. Our new team mate will be working on Ashoka UK’s key communications campaigns, helping with marketing materials, organising events, as well as interacting with our international and UK fellows. We’re looking for someone who will relish the opportunity to work with Ashoka’s valuable wider network of system changing entrepreneurs.
Meet the Team
You’ll love working with the Ashoka UK Team! We’re a diverse group – who are passionate about the social entrepreneurship sector. We always support ‘out of the box’ thinking and will make sure that you have space to develop your ideas and that you take initiatives on your own projects.
Scope of Work
Communications and Media (90%):
· Support the UK Comms team integrated media campaigns, on topics ranging from youth entrepreneurship, to social innovation, to business alliances, to online competitions with corporate partners
· Support the UK Comms team with design and development of marketing materials
· Support the UK Comms team with content copywriting, editing and syndicating
· Manage daily Social Media calendar: Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, YouTube
· Source and curate rich content for Ashoka’s social media channels, e.g. video, image and audio content
· Engage the team in our communications efforts, working collegially within the UK and Europe
· Support the UK team with database management on Salesforce
· Gain valuable skills/training in social media for the non-profit sector
· Work from the office or from home and enjoy flexible working hours
· Meet leading social entrepreneurs from around the world and gain invaluable insights in the social enterprise sector
Required Skills and Experience
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
· Demonstrated track record in producing high quality written materials
· Ability to work productively, proactively and independently, on own initiative
· Excellent time management skills
· Highly organised, efficient and detail-oriented
· Experience in the citizen sector, either as a social entrepreneur or a volunteer, trustee etc.
· Experience of content management systems (CMS), social media, email marketing tools and online content applications