Time commitment: 4 months full time starting in January 2015
Location: Ashoka UK’s office at 15 Old Ford Road, Bethnal Green, London, E2 9PJ
Volunteer position – expenses covered: London Travel Card Zones 1-2 + £5 per day for lunch
Ashoka is the largest network of social entrepreneurs worldwide, with nearly 3,000 Ashoka Fellows in 70 countries putting their system changing ideas into practice on a global scale. Founded by Bill Drayton in 1980, Ashoka launched the field of social entrepreneurship and has activated multi-sector partners across the world who increasingly look to entrepreneurial talent and new ideas to solve social problems.
Ashoka Fellows remain the core of our community, and their insights show us how the world is moving and what is needed next. Ashoka's mission has evolved beyond catalysing individual entrepreneurs to enabling an ‘everyone a changemaker’ world. This means equipping more people – including young people – with the skillset and a connection to purpose so that they can contribute ideas and effectively solve problems at whatever scale is needed in their family, community, city, workplace, field, industry, country. Working in partnership with private, philanthropic and citizen sector players we are achieving large-scale social innovation that is grounded in decades of entrepreneurial experience.
Role and Responsibilities
We are looking for an entrepreneurial, bright and details-oriented individual with a passion for social entrepreneurship and innovation to join our team for 3 months. The role will primarily involve working on Ashoka’s Changemaker Schools programme – the search and selection of leading education institutions which prioritise empathy and changemaking as student outcomes. The activities associated with this role involve carrying out careful research on nominated primary and secondary schools, research and outreach to education related media and events organisation.
The successful candidate will have experience of the citizen sector (social sector/ not-for-profits) in their extra-curricular activities, and a track record of taking initiative. The role would suit someone who is inquisitive and self-motivated, organised and details-oriented, and has an interest in education.
The role will also provide an insight into the processes and systems that support the UK office under the supervision of the Operations Associate. This might include working with our database of contacts to improve Ashoka’s reach, or it might mean working on day to day office management.
We expect the candidate to enthusiastically join in our core organisational activities as well. This is a great opportunity to experience working in the not-for-profit or social enterprise sectors and take on considerable responsibility. And it will be fun!
Scope of work
Changemaker Schools Selection and Engagement (50% or 2.5 days a week):
· Carrying out research into nominated primary and secondary schools;
· Evaluating school candidates and reaching out to shortlisted schools;
· Site visits and profile writing on shortlisted schools;
· Co-ordinating events and meetings with Changemaker Schools;
· Administrating Changemaker Schools on Salesforce.
Media Research (20% or 1 day a week):
- Researching and contacting media interested in innovation in education;
- Supporting the communications team in leveraging the impact of our work with Changemaker Schools.
Fundraising (20% or 1 day a week):
- Research and administer potential funding opportunities for Changemaker Schools;
- Formatting and submitting funding proposals.
Supporting Systems and Processes (10% or 0.5 day a week):
· Contribute to office management under the supervision of the Operations Associate.
· Provide day-to-day admin support to the UK team.
Required Skills and Experience
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
· Demonstrated track record in producing high quality research and written materials;
· Ability to work productively, proactively and independently, on own initiative;
· Excellent time management skills;
· Organised and detail-oriented;
· Experience in the citizen sector, either as a social entrepreneur or a volunteer, trustee etc.