Time: 6 month full-time trial with possibility of leading to a permanent contract.
Remuneration: £1,500 PCM, plus Travel in Zones 1-2
Based at Ashoka's UK office: 15 Old Ford Road, Bethnal Green, London, E2 9PJ
Ashoka is a global association of the world's leading social entrepreneurs—men and women with systems changing solutions for the world's most urgent social problems. Since 1981, we have elected over 3,000 outstanding social entrepreneurs as Ashoka Fellows, providing them with living stipends, professional support, and access to a global network of peers in more than 70 countries. Ashoka UK is in its sixth year of electing fellows and has currently elected 23 leading UK social entrepreneurs to the Ashoka fellowship. Please see www.uk.ashoka.org and www.ashoka.org for more details.
We are looking for an entrepreneurial, bright and creative Senior Community Engagement Associate with a passion for social enterprise and innovation, to provide core ongoing support to all aspects of Ashoka's internal and external communications. The successful applicant will be working on Ashoka UK's key communications campaigns, creating and curating inspiring top quality content for our various media channels, organising events, working closely with media and corporate partners as well as interacting with our international and UK fellows. The role would suit a communications and / or journalism professional who is inquisitive and self-motivated, detail-oriented, and is excited to develop Ashoka's voice and value. This is a great opportunity to gain insight into Ashoka's valuable wider network of system changing entrepreneurs, while building a fantastic portfolio of content.
Ashoka UK Communications:
- Create at least 1 x piece of high quality written content per week for global syndication
- Manage and curate Ashoka UK Newsletter
- Manage the Ashoka UK Fellow of the Month Campaign, including supporting European colleagues with roll out.
- Support global communications and outreach campaigns, including time sensitive campaigns with corporate partners
- Support relationship management with key media partnerships
- Engage the team in our communications efforts, working collegially within the UK and Europe
- Manage and support a part time Social Media Volunteer
- Manage daily social media calendar: Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, YouTube
- Manage and curate rich content for Ashoka's social media channels, eg.g. video, image and audio content.
- Manage and curate all external facing documents, including presentations, web copy and one pagers
- Manage design and development of annual report
- Support logistics and planning for Ashoka UK events, including 'speaker series' with Pearson.
- Content creation and curation for Ashoka UK events (online and offline)
- Support with online Ashoka Global events, e.g. monthly #SocEntChat on Twitter.
Pre-requisite skills, experience and persona:
- Undergraduate/Masters degree in a related subject.
- Excellent journalistic and communication skills; demonstrated track record in producing high quality written materials (to be supplied on invitation to interview)
- Ability to work productively, proactively and independently, on own initiative
- Experience in the citizen sector, either as a social entrepreneur or a volunteer, trustee etc.
- Experience of writing accurate and engaging copy
- Experience of content management systems (CMS), social media, email marketing tools and online content applications
- Experience using photoshop, Adobe Suite, video editing software and sound editing software is desired but not manadatory
Ashoka has a rigorous committee-based screening process for hiring staff at all career stages, mirroring the selection process for our Fellows. All applicants for all positions must first possess the following qualities along with the appropriate degree of experience:
Entrepreneurship/Intrapreneurship: Compelled to take creative initiative and ownership (e.g. founding an organisation or company, starting a movement, or re-shaping the work of an existing organisation). Demonstrates relentless and realistic how-to-thinking and passion for seeing their ideas come to life.
Understanding and Belief in the Everyone a Changemaker: Understands and believes the Everyone a Changemaker vision at a gut level. To be able to innately 'get' this, candidates should have a broad and inquisitive intellectual and a thinking pattern that connects the dots between historical trends and current social context.
Emotional and Social Intelligence: Ability to work efficiently and respectfully in teams, putting organisational/team goal first (personal glory second).
Ethical Fibre: Exceptionally strong ethical behaviour. Is self-reflective and has strong empathy skills. Trustworthy.
Self-Definition: The person expects that changing the world in big ways and on a continental scale is what he/she will do in life.