We are looking for a volunteer taking time to join us for 6 months. Yunus Social Business is offering a position of
Social Business Consultant.
We, YSB, are the international consulting and project implementation company for Nobel Peace Laureate
Muhammad Yunus, and our mission is to help create social businesses worldwide. Reporting directly to Prof.
Yunus, we are currently a team of 30 people worldwide, 7 in Haiti, with backgrounds in strategy consulting,
entrepreneurship, accounting and international development. Our central office is in Frankfurt, Germany, with our
local office for Haiti based in Port-au-Prince.We are part of the Grameen network of over 40 social businesses
and more than 50,000 employees. Grameen/Yunus projects, in microfinance and in social business, have been
implemented in more than 50 countries around the world.
The YSB Initiative Haiti will focus on the needs of the poorest and most vulnerable members of Haitian society. It
generated a first wave of social business entrepreneurs and social business projects, and is financing the best
ones through the YSB Fund Haiti.
You will be based in Haiti. Reporting to the Head of Investments Haiti (based in Haiti), you will be responsible for
many exciting aspects of the Haiti initiative, including:
· Incubation of Social Businesses selected to be in YSB pipeline
o Your tasks will include: management of the due diligence process with the entrepreneur,
development of business plans, development of financial modelling, coaching of selected
entrepreneurs, market research and competition analysis, preparation of investment memos for
the Review Committees
· Develop Social Business Pipeline, especially on the social business investment search & pre-selection
· Continuous improvement of Social Business Fund reporting and tracking tools to monitor and evaluation
the social as well as financial impact of the initiative
· Other duties and responsibilities, as required, to help ensure that the YSB Initiative Haiti is a success.
What we are looking for
Candidates should have the following qualities, skills and experience:
· Fluent English; Fluent French
· At least 2 years experience at least one of the following sectors:
o Strategy consulting – experience with SME is valued
o Investment Banking, Private Equity, Venture Capital
o Project Management in the private sector
· Outstanding analytical skills, critical thinking, evidence-based analysis, efficiency and thoroughness,
demonstrated by excellent academic qualifications;
· Demonstrated leadership, management and organizational skills; experience of managing teams in
· A high level of passion, entrepreneurial energy, personal initiative and responsibility;
· A demonstrated commitment to serving society’s needs and a high level of personal integrity;
· An excellent understanding of “social business” and how this is related to other concepts, e.g. social
innovation, social entrepreneurship, inclusive business, impact investing…;
· Strong cultural understanding and skills to manage differences;
· Diplomacy, negotiating skills and team-working skills;
· Willingness to travel outside of Port-au-Prince, including to rural areas of Haiti
Your minimum availability should be 6 months.
What we offer to you
· A great opportunity to use your talent, skills and enthusiasm to help create social businesses with us – you will
be surprised how similar to consulting and VC the tools and methodologies that we use are!
· An exciting work environment with great scope for taking on significant responsibilities within projects and
within the organization: Our CEO and one of our directors are former BCG consultants, and previous
volunteers from McKinsey, BCG, Roland Berger, HSBC, ... have helped to structure our investment funds,
have written and analyzed business plans for social businesses in Haiti, Albania and Tunisia, and have
advised leading companies on what social businesses they could/should launch.
· A great opportunity to discover Haiti, and to address its most fundamental needs through a pioneer approach
· A lot of joy in all our projects and a friendly, young, international team.
· A volunteer (unpaid) position, with the possibility to turn into full-time paid positions based on performance
and project needs.