The program – Shanghai Young Bakers (SYB)
Young Bakers (SYB) is a charity program providing free training in French
bakery to marginalised Chinese youth aged 17 to 23, enabling them to find
qualified jobs and lead independent lives after graduation.
disadvantaged young adults who had to drop out of school because of their
family situation (parents’ death, sickness, disability or imprisonment) and are
excluded from stable employment.
Thanks to the
generosity of our sponsors and donors, SYB
students follow a one-year training where they learn valuable skills such
as French bakery and pastry, Chinese bakery, life skills and English, combined
with practical internships at 5-star hotels. Due to the high demand of qualified bakers on the Chinese market, 30 students
each year start a new life as bakers or pastry chefs and are able to support
themselves and their families.
The charity program
was founded in 2008. In 2011, we created
a social enterprise that offers a wide range of services to support the
program, such as baking classes and workshops, bakery and pastry catering
services, sales at weekend markets, and which supporting individuals and
companies to contribute to the success and sustainability of the program.
SYB is managed by a
small but dynamic French-Chinese team, and operates under the governance of Chi
Role – Partnerships Manager
Shanghai Young Bakers
relies on a network of sponsors and
partners to operate its program. These include financial sponsors, hotel
internship partners, in-kind donors, pro-bono service providers, corporate
clients, of different nationalities and cultures, as well as NGOs, schools and
institutions who help ensure the quality of the program.
Manager intern will be in charge of nurturing
and managing the strategic relationships with our current partners, and helping to promote their commitment to social responsibility through related
communication work and events.
S/he will work under
the guidance of the SYB program director and in close relationship with the
Communication Coordinator, Resource Development Manager and the social
Time commitment: at least
20 hours/week, from April or May to end October or November. We can accommodate
university students’ schedule if needed.
· Act as the main contact point for current financial and in-kind partners, coordinate requests and provide regular feedback on actions undertaken by SYB
· Design appropriate CSR strategy for the partner (branding & communication work, organizing staff volunteer activities, providing commercial services…) and implement
· Write and/or edit promotional material for partners
· Lead sponsorship renewal and negotiations; prepare related documents and proposals
· Manage relationship with current hotel partners (who provide practical internships to the SYB students); negotiate and follow-up on partnership renewal
· Lead the search for new hotel partners: visit the hotels and review their bakery/pastry departments together with the SYB trainers, present the cooperation terms
· Help design appropriate CSR strategy for engaged hotel partners (branding & communication work, writing/producing material showcasing the collaboration, contacting journalists, organizing staff volunteer activities …) and implement
· Research possible fundraising opportunities in the hotel industry (sponsorships from hotel foundations, etc) and prepare related application material, engage with hotel CSR managers to follow through
· Answer hotels, bakeries, restaurants, F&B company’s requests to hire SYB graduates
· Promote SYB recruitment services and “SYB Employment Partner” package; organize related services and student activities/ bakery visits
· Organize SYB’s annual “Career Fair” in July, which links SYB’s soon-to-graduate students with potential employers
· Participate in brainstorming to increase visibility and participation rate at SYB’s annual Graduation Ceremony in July; propose solutions to showcase hotel partners
· Invite partners to SYB’s Graduation Ceremony and make sure their support is duly promoted
· Possibility to represent SYB and introduce cooperation opportunities at outside meetings and events
· Other professional initiatives to raise awareness of the SYB actions and promote its image and/or that of its partners both in China and abroad will be warmly welcome
If interested, please send us your resume by email on firstname.lastname@example.org. In the body of the email, please tell us about your reasons for applying for this role, any relevant experience and your availability. Thank you!