The program – Shanghai Young Bakers (SYB)
Young Bakers (SYB) is a charity program providing free training in French
bakery to marginalised Chinese youth aged 17 to 23, enabling them to find
qualified jobs and lead independent lives after graduation.
disadvantaged young adults who had to drop out of school because of their
family situation (parents’ death, sickness, disability or imprisonment) and are
excluded from stable employment.
Thanks to the generosity of our sponsors and donors, SYB students follow a one-year training
where they learn valuable skills such as French bakery and pastry, Chinese
bakery, life skills and English, combined with practical internships at 5-star
hotels. Due to the high demand of
qualified bakers on the Chinese market, 30 students each year start a new
life as bakers or pastry chefs and are able to support themselves and their
The charity program was founded in 2008. In order to
increase its financial stability, since end 2011 SYB operates a social enterprise program, that offers half-day bakery
classes, bread & pastry catering, and technical consulting services to
individuals and companies wishing to contribute to the success and
sustainability of the program.
SYB is managed by a small but dynamic French-Chinese
team, and operates under the administrative governance of Chi Heng Foundation.
The position – Deputy Program director / Training director
The Deputy Program director (or “Training/Education
Director”) leads and manages the training and educational aspects of the program,
in coordination with the program educational partners and under the guidance of
the Program Director.
The Deputy Program
director should work towards maximizing the students’ training opportunities
and facilitating their integration into the working world, in particular by
ensuring (1) the charity nature of the program, (2) the high quality of the
training, and, together with the rest of the leadership team, (3) the long-term
sustainability of the organization.
- Participate in setting the vision and landmarks
for the next five years, ensure planning and implementation
- Manage relations with training & education partners
Guide and supervise the
training/educational staff (4 teachers) in their everyday work and in their
personal professional development
2. Students recruitment direction
- Liaise with partner and potential partner NGOs
to receive student applications; review and improve recruitment material as
- Together with the teachers, review candidates
and conduct interviews to select 32 students, and help organize their arrival
in Shanghai (July-August)
- 3. Students education / training monitoring
- Coordinate and supervise curriculum design,
program implementation and training organization, for all areas including
Technical bakery & pastry training
General professional skills (hygiene, fire
safety, food safety…)
Soft skills and character development
- Monitor and encourage students’ psychological
well-being and overall progress, including during their internships, together
with the social educator and bakery teachers
- Manage any student-related emergency (in
particular, physical, emotional, social, and professional)
- Evaluate training quality and lead improvements
- 4. Internship partnerships management
- Manage internship-related issues with the
concerned hotels/bakeries partners
- Negotiate and follow-up on partnership renewal;
lead the search for new internship partners
- 5. Prepare for future developments /
- Assist the return of our two graduates
currently in France to be trained as SYB teachers, and support the transition
into their new role (June-September)
- Aid the selection of two new graduates/students
to be trained as SYB’s future bakery trainers
- Work towards raising the quality standards at
SYB Baking Centre to support the professional as well as commercial
developments of the program;
- Stay aware of cooperation opportunities with
other NGOs to increase social impact; for example, by expanding the
“Train-the-Trainer” program with like-minded NGOs
- Dedication to work in a growing multi-cultural non-profit
organization with a strong interest in social enterprise development.
Committed to making a difference.
- Potential to lead,
influence, and efficiently support operational and strategic decisions to
drive the program as a high-quality, sustainable social model.
- Strong working knowledge in French, English and
Mandarin (ex: able to effectively lead meetings in any of these languages)
- Experience of project coordination in a multi-cultural
setting. Good knowledge of Chinese culture and working environment.
- Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal
skills (in all 3 languages)
- Strong organizational skills; able to work
collaboratively and independently.
- Interest in the food/bakery industry.
- Work contract: 3 years, renewable, with a
3-month trial period
- Full-time, activities/meetings to be
expected on weekends/evenings
- Location: Shanghai
- Office work: Chi
Heng Foundation Shanghai office (长寿路武宁路)
SYB Baking Centre （普陀区绥德路）or Caoyang Vocational School (普陀区清涧路240号)
- Outside meetings
& events to be expected
- Base salary in line with China NGO standards + fixed bonus
depending on qualifications, experience and dedication.
- Strong development opportunities towards an overall