Since 2019 BlueSeeds has been tackling the problem of lack of funding for marine conservation. As technical assistants, we develop financing solutions and support conservation actors in implementing these solutions on the field.
- We support Mediterranean MPAs in setting up self-financing mechanisms (visitor fees and concessions) at their sites.
- We provide training to support Mediterranean and West African MPA managers in the development of their financial strategy and business plans.
- In July 2021, we launched a mooring management and booking tool for MPA managers to diversify their revenue streams and contribute to the protection of Posidonia oceanica meadows (www.bluemooring.org).
- We are working to replicate a community-based entrepreneurship incubator we created with partners on the island of Lastovo, Croatia, that supports the creation of small local businesses that have a positive impact on marine conservation.
- We are developing a financial vehicle to facilitate access to European funding (EMFAF) for small-scale Mediterranean artisanal fishermen willing to adopt sustainable fishing practices.
- We coordinate 'Together for the Med', a network of 15 conservation projects that aim to reduce fishing pressure on Mediterranean biodiversity.
For more information: www.blueseeds.org
The range of financial sustainability solutions for marine conservation that BlueSeeds is working on continues to expand. Today, there is a growing interest in financial mechanisms for carbon offsetting applied to marine ecosystems (mangroves and seagrass meadows in particular) – Blue Carbon. From 2022, BlueSeeds will work on the development of several projects related to carbon finance linked with marine ecosystems protection.
As a Blue Carbon Project Manager, your role will be to accompany and support BlueSeeds and its team in the development and implementation of projects related to carbon finance for marine conservation.
Job description: Project Manager – Blue Carbon
18-month fixed-term contract - Beginning 1st December 2021
As a Blue Carbon Project Manager, you will join the multidisciplinary BlueSeeds team and report to Mr. Thomas Binet, Founder and Director of BlueSeeds and VertigoLab, and be supervised by Adèle de Toma, BlueSeeds’ operations manager.
Your main mission will be to build and lead a team dedicated to the development and implementation of projects related to carbon finance for marine conservation. At the crossroads of the expertise of the different team members, you will coordinate the different steps necessary to achieve a major objective of BlueSeeds: to offer MPA managers a technical assistance program enabling them to develop and implement Blue Carbon projects to sustain marine and coastal ecosystem conservation initiatives.
You are responsible for the strategic and operational development of the technical assistance program on blue carbon projects
- Lead the team of collaborators on blue carbon projects.
- Develop projects related to Blue Carbon:
- Identify relevant project opportunities,
- Write project proposals,
- Seek and develop relevant partnerships for project implementation,
- Ensure project monitoring and coordination,
- Raise funds,
- Monitor blue carbon issues in general.
- Develop and manage the implementation of pilot projects in partnership with conservation site managers.
- Coordinate the development of specific Blue Carbon methodologies and project descriptions, in particular on Posidonia and mangroves.
You will work transversally, in collaboration with the team, to contribute to:
- The production and writing of internal materials, such as reports and articles;
- Internal trainings for the team, related to your fields of expertise;
- BlueSeeds field missions, as identified;
- Responses to calls for bids;
- Support BlueSeeds team with ad-hoc tasks.
- 18-month fixed-term contract position starting December 2021, with the possibility of moving to a permanent contract.
- Salary according to profile and experience.
- Based at Darwin Ecosystem, 87 Quai des Queyries, 33000 Bordeaux, France.