Desired start date: 15/05/23
Duration of the mission: 6 months, potentially renewable
Location: Bhamo, Kachin state, Myanmar
SOLIDARITES INTERNATIONAL (SI) is an international humanitarian aid association which, since more than 40 years, has been providing assistance to populations affected by armed conflicts and natural disasters by meeting their basic needs for food, water and shelter. Particularly committed to the fight against diseases linked to unsafe water, the leading cause of death in the world, SI's interventions provide expertise in the field of access to drinking water, sanitation and hygiene promotion, but also in the essential area of food security and livelihoods. Present in some twenty countries, the SI teams – 2500 people in total, made up of expatriates, national staff, permanent staff at HQ, and a few volunteers - intervene with professionalism and commitment while respecting cultural norms.
ABOUT THE MISSION
SI has been in Myanmar since 2008, first responding to the devastating Nargis Cyclone. In 2011 and 2012, SI expanded to new regions focusing on Livelihoods, Food Security, Shelter, and WASH.
SI is currently mainly operating in Rakhine and in Kachin States with outreach emergency capacities through its local partners in Chin, Sagaing and Magway States. The operations are supported by the Coordination team based in Yangon.
While continuing to support the vulnerable communities suffering from a long-term protracted crisis, SI is also developing a stronger and more responsive Emergency component, either directly or through local partners, to tackle the growing needs spreading across the country.
In November 2022, 12 international staff and 310 national staff are working with SI Myanmar to implement projects focusing on Wash, FSL and Emergency response. Projects are ranging from immediate life-saving response (Water Scarcity in Rakhine, rehabilitation, Operation and maintenance of sanitation facilities, desludging and sludge treatment, water supply facilities, Emergency response to new displacements etc.) to the search for more sustainable solutions to protracted crisis (handover to communities and local organizations, capacity-building, community empowerment etc.).
SI’s main donors are FCDO, ECHO, CIAA, CDCS and UN agencies.
ABOUT THE JOB
Under the supervision of the administrative coordinator, the administrator carries out administrative, accounting and financial management of his/her base, in compliance with donor and SOLIDARITES International procedures. He/she supervises accounting operations and cash management, and carries out budget follow up in conjunction with the program managers.
He/she is also one of those charged with ensuring that Solidarités International’s Human Resources policy is properly implemented at the base. He supports monitors and trains the members of his administrative team.
The main challenges:
- Continue reinforcing technical skills of the administrative team through clear individual action plans in collaboration with HR/Finance Coordination.
- Reinforce Base’s capacities (admin, HR and log) on partnership management.
- Working remotely (even if the team is really available online and used to remote management since they already had 9 months with an Admin Manager working remotely).
- Major access challenges making it unlikely for the expatriate to reach Myanmar and the position is expected to be held fully remotely.
- Communication in a non-English speaking context: The administrative team and partners are not fluent in English.
- Local partner’s management: remote management, English level of the partner and fluctuant internet connection means that the relationship with partners is mainly assured by the admin team on the ground.
- WPN (in NGCA near Lwegel): on-going lasting partnership. The admin team have good relations with them, ensuring a smooth collaboration for the reporting. No major concern.
- Alinn Banmaw (in Bhamo): new partner. Capacity building plan to prepare then start implementing (mainly by the admin team on the ground).
Priorities for the 2/3 first months:
- Finance capacity-building for the Deputy Admin Manager (proposal budget compilation mainly)
- Ensure smooth work-relation with new partner Alinn Banmaw.
Responsibilities and main activities:
- Administrative management of the staff.
- Budgetary / financial monitoring.
- Team Management.
- Administrative management of the mission.
- Reporting / Communication.