In short :
- Stack: Ruby on Rails, Algolia, Docker, Python, Heroku, Gitlab (check the code!)
- Organization: Just One Giant Lab (JOGL), an open and participatory, non-profit research and innovation laboratory.
- When: As soon as possible
- Where: Worldwide/Remote and/or at the JOGL offices, within the Centre de Recherche Interdisciplinaire, Paris 75004, France.
- Contract: Full-time. Permanent or Freelance contract. Salary depends on profile seniority.
About JOGL :
Just One Giant Lab (JOGL) is the first research and innovation laboratory operating as a distributed, open and massive mobilisation platform for collaborative task solving. JOGL helps humanity to sync onto fixing our most urgent and important problems using Open Science, Responsible Innovation and Continuous Learning. JOGL partners with academic labs, companies, startups, foundations, NGOs and public services to create participatory research programs for understanding and solving Health, Environmental, Social and Humanitarian issues.
You will be taking the lead on the backend, to develop and release new features; complete maintenance tasks; and improve the existing code of the JOGL platform. You will be working with the web development team, currently composed of 1 lead frontend, 2 junior frontend, 1 junior backend.
- Backend: Ruby on Rails, Docker, Python, Sidekiq
- Frontend: ReactJS, NextJS, Typescript, Algolia
- Datastores: PostgreSQL / Redis
- Infra: Heroku, AWS
- At least 3 years experience in Ruby and Rails (Rails 5+), and building APIs with it (and previous experience with public API)
- Knowledge in DevOps would be a plus.
- Working in CI and CD with GitlabCI
- Rigorous about testing and code quality: rspecs, unit tests.. (currently covering 88% of the back end codebase using SimpleCov)
Some of the next big tasks/projects:
- Migrate from algolia to elastic search
- Use kubernetes, move away from heroku
- Move the api to graphql
- Transparent: Sharing knowledge, learnings, feedback, and mistakes.
- Motivated: You like the idea of contributing to the emergence of a new model of participatory research and innovation.
- Organized: Document yourself and think about other developers when you code!
- Problem Solver: You enjoy finding solutions and resolving issues quickly and efficiently.
- Collaborative: You are able to work in a team and are able to communicate with people without technical knowledge. You like pair-programming and doing code reviews.
- Fluent: Fluent in English, and strong knowledge of the webdev world
Bottom line : Be ready for an extraordinary adventure! You must be motivated to get to the heart of the matter, you will be active to the rhythm of a changing world. Valuable experience with a young team of digital culture, tech for good, open data, big data and open science.
How to apply?
Fill out this form and we will get back to you as soon as possible :)