The Organization and Role
About Access Now
Access Now is a growing international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, including issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our policy, advocacy, technology, and operations teams have staff presences in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East/North Africa (MENA), North America, and South/Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
About this role
The Web Developer develops and maintains Access Now’s web products and presences, continually striving to improve the performance of web applications, namely, WordPress products - ensuring Access Now’s voice is clear, cool, and easily identifiable. The Web Developer functions as the core technical resource within a vibrant team, working across a fast-paced, dynamic environment, where attention to detail and fast turnarounds are essential when transforming design concepts into working web code. This is where your proven track record of developing WordPress websites and plugins will shine. This new role requires excellent front end developer experience, and knowledge of modern web development best practices and tools.
The Web Developer operates within the Design and Creative Production Team, which in turn, acts as an internal design and development agency within the Organization. The Web Developer reports through the Head of Design and Creative Production, and works closely with the Senior Designer and Web Content Coordinator. The Web Developer collaborates solely with the newly formed Design and Creative Production Team, which sits within the organization’s Advocacy Arm within the Communications and Engagement Team.
Are you up for the challenge?
What you will do
As a top candidate, you know what to do when StackOverflow doesn’t! You’re a PHP master! Your code is like your demeanor: flexible and responsive! Your process and documentation are clear and accessible to your peers!
- Work with the creative team to dream up & create new WordPress plugins, themes, and page templates from scratch, and maintain, update, and modify existing themes and plugins
- Plan, develop, test, and troubleshoot code over multiple clients - including mobile and tablet - to provide a smooth, engaging, and consistent user experience
- Create meaningful, easy-to-access, and clean documentation for the rest of the team and peer developers to refer to and collaborate
- Turn design specs, wireframes, and assets into working prototypes, while using your knowledge of CSS to bend web presentation to your will
- With supervision, coordinate with our internal SysAdmin team, digital development vendors, and web hosts to ensure a smooth technical workflow and keep our dev roadmap on track
- Bring your communication and candor everyday for clear updates on status, achievements, and challenges
This is a full-time position, with location preferences that include Africa, Asia-Pacific/Southeast Asia, Latin America, and Europe (Belgium, Germany, UK), among others. At this time most Access Now Team Members are working through hybrid office arrangements, combining remote at-home work with intermittent use of offices and/or co-working spaces. The successful candidate must possess the right to work in the location in which they will be based. We are unable to sponsor visas or relocations for this role.
Access Now offers competitive compensation - in line with skills, preparation, and depth of experience - and benefits packages that align with our regional and office presences. While skills, experience, and the specific region/location drive compensation, examples of anticipated, initial placement within the salary range for this role include:
- between K380,000 and K520,000 KES gross monthly (Kenya)
- between $8,500 and $10,500 SGD gross monthly (Singapore)
- between £5,500 and £7,100 GBP gross monthly (United Kingdom)
Benefits for this specific role are tied to the location, and will vary. Regardless of location, all Team Members benefit from a strong global culture aligned around:
- Work-life balance…including a generous paid time-off program between 36 and 40 days annually
- Access to supplemental health care insurance policies
- Professional development and growth opportunities
- Extensive workplace flexibility
- Organizational resilience and support for all team members, including paid family leave and employee assistance programs
- Connection to a diverse, global team of passionate, principled professionals
- Opportunities to recharge (including one month of paid refresher leave after 4 years)
How to Apply
Please submit the following documents:
- Résumé/CV (removing all personally identifying information such as age, gender, marital status, address, and photo)
- Thoughtful cover letter outlining your suitability for our role, with particular attention to your experience aligning to the core functions
Our hiring teams review applications submitted through our Career Openings page; email submissions are not accepted. Please note that if you are applying via a link in a 3rd party system (examples: Indeed, Glassdoor, LinkedIn, Snaphunt, Zip Recruiter), be sure that you are going through the application link in BambooHR so that you are properly uploading a distinct Cover Letter and a separate CV/Resume.
In order for us to communicate with you on the status of your application, please add apps.bamboohr.com to your contacts list, and check spam or junk folders so that you do not miss updates from us.
We are a global human rights organization committed to inclusivity and equity, and seek the most talented team members who bring their true selves, with diverse backgrounds, cultures, perspectives, and experiences. We are interested in receiving applications from people who consider themselves as under-represented in their talent communities. As an equal opportunity employer, we value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status. Our commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.