About Build a Climate Startup (*)
We are a climate tech venture studio and investor based in Europe, on a mission to eliminate at least one gigaton of CO2eq from annual emissions.
The climate crisis is the most pressing challenge of our times. Breakthrough technologies will be crucial to reach net zero, as available solutions only get us halfway. However, we cannot place all our hopes in classic tech transfer. The urgency requires an intentional approach to engineer and deploy massively scalable solutions for hard-to-abate emissions.
We partner with scientists, engineers and operators to build deeptech climate startups in areas like energy, industry, buildings, carbon removal, and more. As Founders-in-Residence, they work with us to identify high-impact opportunities, and shape the most promising idea into a new company. We invest in the best teams at pre-seed.
(*) We'll have a new name soon!
About The Role
We are hiring a Senior Associate to lead technical diligence and analysis of venture creation opportunities in climate deeptech. The role is ideal for a scientist with industry experience and a driving motivation to mitigate climate change.
You will work in close collaboration with our Partners to help us prioritise new venture development, take investment decisions, and hire top talent.
You will have the opportunity to work directly with brilliant Founders on a mission turn the tide on the climate crisis. You will also get exposure to all key programme activities, as well as leadership functions like strategy, investment, and investor relations.
This is a unique opportunity to get in at the ground floor as we aim to create a new home for early-stage climate deeptech in Europe.
Location: HQ in Paris. Flexible remote, geographical proximity is preferred.
Language: English fluency required. French fluency ideal. Any other EU language is a plus.
You will take the lead in technical diligence and analysis of venture creation opportunities, and play a key support role in sourcing and empowering our Founders. Your responsibilities will vary but mostly fall into five main pillars:
- Diligence. You will lead the technical diligence of projects in our pipeline, from idea to investment. This involves worksessions with our Founders and candidates, interviews with key experts in science and industry, reviews of scientific papers and patents, techno-economic analysis, and forward-looking impact assessment.
- Strategic Research. Keeping a close eye on academic, startup and industry circles, you will track emerging technologies and market developments in decarbonisation, carbon removal, and adaptation. You will work with our Partners to decide which opportunity areas we should prioritise, and develop thought leadership on climate tech.
- Content. Part of the role involves the delivery of concise analysis and presentation materials (memos, sheets, decks) based on your work. You will help us communicate our thesis and our Founders' mission to external audiences.
- Team and Founder support. You will help our talent sourcing team look for the right skills and background in the right ecosystem, and take part in select interviews with candidates. You will provide technical expertise and hands-on support to Founders.
- Ecosystem. You will participate to events and networking activities to help us strengthen relationships with top researchers, professors, industry experts, investors and founders. You will always be on the lookout for new talent and advisors.
Progress and plans for future work will be summarised in regular reports to our Partners. You will likely have the opportunity to hire and manage junior colleagues and collaborators.
The role will occasionally involve travel to attend conferences and other events.
Skills & Profile
While this role has many dimensions, you will spend most of your time evaluating technologies that reduce emissions, remove carbon from the atmosphere, and build climate resilience. Your ability to learn on the job will be more important than ticking all the boxes, but if you recognise yourself below, we would love to hear from you:
- You have a PhD or equivalent experience providing you with a deep understanding of at least one field among: chemical engineering, physical chemistry, materials science, biotechnology, energy systems, or mechanical engineering.
- You have at least two years of experience in the commercial side of deeptech: startup, industry, tech transfer, investment, or market research. Ideally, you have experience with techno-economic modelling in cleantech.
- You have a constant appetite for learning new things, including beyond your discipline. You are able to rapidly understand the fundamentals of a new technical field, by reviewing scientific literature and speaking with key experts.
- You are naturally inquisitive and curious, anchor on the right concepts quickly, and go deep enough to surface non-obvious insights.
- You enjoy thinking about big climate problems to understand the core issues. You know they often elicit more specific, actionable, interesting problems.
- You approach radically new ideas and technologies with an open mind. You get to the salient questions quickly, and your first instinct is to ask how they scale.
- You are comfortable admitting what you do not know. Conversely, you are not shy about challenging others, always in a respectful manner.
- You are able to efficiently collect, process and synthesize complex information. You take pride in the excellence, accuracy and details of your work.
- You are an excellent written and verbal communicator, able to build and defend a conviction, formulate investment recommendations, and present in public. Ideally, you know how to rely on compelling visual narratives to support your argument.
- You are self-motivated and action-oriented. You are comfortable defining your own goals and enjoy working on multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- You can quickly and seamlessly transition from team player to individual focused work with minimal directions. Ideally, you have experience managing a small team.
- You understand that innovation starts with people, not ideas. You are at ease engaging with diverse stakeholders, including scientists, engineers, entrepreneurs, investors, corporates, or civil society. You are approachable, empathetic, and generous.
- You are a pragmatic optimist with a driving motivation to mitigate climate change.
English fluency is required (we work in English). French fluency is ideal and will be handy. Any other European language is a plus.
What We Offer
- €60k - €75k brut annual salary (CDI) based on experience
- Participation in profits from portfolio investments
- Flexible remote: HQ in Paris. Work from home or a coworking space. We are remote-first but meet weekly in Paris. This might evolve: we're still experimenting!
- Team + Founder offsites (every 8-10 weeks)
- Exposure to our network of top investors, mentors & advisors
- 40 days off = 25 standard + 10 forfait jours + 5 over christmas and new year
- 1 paid 'learn week' to develop your technical expertise in emerging fields
- Benefits: health insurance (Alan), meal vouchers (Swile), 50% commute refund
- Perks: wellness (gym, sport, yoga, ...) and development allowances (books, courses, etc)
How To Apply
Apply before October 1st by filling this form. You will be asked for:
- Your CV + LinkedIn and other relevant profiles
- A concise cover letter telling us about you and why you want this role
- An example of a company or research lab doing amazing work in climate that we may not be not familiar with. In one sentence, describe what you love about them.
We believe that a diverse group of minds is key to solving the climate crisis. We encourage women, people of colour and under-represented candidates to apply. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination.