We’re looking for an adaptable and creative web developer with experience in a small team and excellent interpersonal skills to lead on taking our website and digital products to the next level.
- Implementing interactive storytelling experiences to showcase our journalism in new and innovative ways.
- Architecting and developing features for the front and back-end of the website, prioritizing performance, maintainability, readability and overall code quality.
- Supporting other members of the web development team on technical issues.
- Working with the web team to propose, build, and deliver dynamic and adaptable solutions to day-to-day editorial challenges.
- Owning and improving the web development environment to unlock productivity for the whole team.
- Working to improve the website for our users, and stakeholders, including potentially conducting user research and prioritizing stakeholder feedback.
- Constantly striving for excellence by bringing innovative ideas and new technologies and processes to the web team.
You are passionate about creating beautiful, effective user experiences on a variety of web platforms using modern web development technologies. You care about clean code, and understand the importance of good documentation. You have experience working in a team of web developers in a product-oriented environment. Your technical skills are supplemented by excellent communication and interpersonal skills and are you able to build positive and productive relationships with technical and non-technical stakeholders across the organization. You are a positive force for continual improvement and innovation in the team.
Technical skills required:
- Proven technical expertise (5 years+ is ideal) in various areas of web development and a track record of successful project delivery.
- Experience developing with modern, clean PHP on a web application or CMS.
- Experience using distributed source-control such as Git.
- Familiarity with Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery best practices.
- Ability to advocate for clean, readable, maintainable, documented code within a multi-person team.
Soft skills required:
- Proven collaboration and communication skills with both technical and non-technical colleagues.
- Ability to mentor/advise other team members to help them grow.
- Proven ability to navigate cross-organization boundaries and build strong relationships with other engineering teams.
- Ability to improve team productivity by helping motivate the team and create buy-in for technical changes to improve overall performance.
- Ability to work under pressure and to deliver projects to realistic deadlines.
- Ability to communicate well in English both written and spoken.
- Experience building apps using a headless CMS or consumption of a content API (Wordpress Rest API would be ideal).
- Experience developing features for a PHP-based CMS (e.g Wordpress) using modern development techniques.
- Experience working in a security-first environment.
- Experience designing and implementing code-review processes and continuous integration and deployment pipelines.