A bit about us:
Hi, we’re Who Gives a Crap! We make eco-friendly toilet paper (as well as tissues and paper towels) and donate 50% of our profits to help build toilets for the 2.3 billion people in need.
We absolutely love doing good, but we’re also exceptionally good at it. To date, we’ve donated over AUD$8.3 million (roughly USD$5.9 million) to fund sanitation projects around the globe. We’ve grown quickly – selling directly to customers across three continents and establishing a strong B2B business in Australia that’s expanding to the UK market this year.
Our team is made up of over 100 amazing humans working out of Melbourne, Los Angeles, China, and Manila. We’re working hard to reach our ambitious goals and diversify our product range to ensure we can have the greatest impact possible – both for the planet and its people. With your help, we’re hoping to increase our annual donation 10-fold in the next couple of years and continue to make the most beautiful, eco-friendly goods around.
A bit about the role:
Based in Europe (ideally in the Netherlands), this role will see you entrusted with the keys to our EU and UK logistics function, which has been run remotely to date, and driving localized strategy in line with our global priorities.
Reporting to our Logistics Lead who is based in Los Angeles, you will have the honour of being our first ever logistics person based solely managing our EU/UK market - woop! As the solo (for now) logistics team member based in Europe, you’ll get to apply your local expertise and pave the way for us, waving the logistics flag across our business and being an ambassador for the operational needs of the business.
You will ensure our EU/UK logistics function is running efficiently, cost-effectively and with a high quality of service and performance across the board. As a super-fast growing business, the challenge is making sure we strike the right balance between robustness, cost and flexibility at the same time (phew!). With a mountain of projects on the go, we will look to your hands-on as well as strategic abilities to lead and execute them to success.
We are looking to hire this role in the Netherlands, ideally, but we are open to hearing from you if you reside anywhere in Northwest Europe or the UK. We’ll just expect that you’re comfortable and able to travel as necessary for warehouse inspection and partner relationship management, as long as it’s safe to do so. You’ll be one of our first-ever hires in this part of the world (how exciting!), so you’ll need to be comfy working independently and remotely from the rest of our team and don’t mind some extra calendar shuffling to account for some pretty confusing time zone overlaps. Did we hear you say you’re just as comfy dressing up as a night owl and an early bird?!
Looking into our crystal ball, here are some things you’ll be involved in over your first 6 months:
- You researched, selected, and implemented a new best-in-class post-purchase technology that integrates with our local carriers.
- You presented a clearly defined growth strategy and project plan for our EU and UK geos to our Exec Leadership team, outlining how we’ll plan to support both current and future warehouse space demands and using an impressive GIF selection throughout to make your message that much more impactful (yep, you love GIFs just as much as we do).
- You collaborated with our Customer Experience Ops experts and Finance team to pinpoint long-term progression of CX metrics and cost analysis for the EU and UK markets.
- You caught up with teammates in Los Angeles on a weekly Zoom hang, while you enjoyed an evening cocktail (or fancy mocktail) and the US team sipped coffee. Bevs all around though, right?
- To kick off our review process of our current warehouse partners, you went to market to gather some comparison rates and service offerings for other potential partnerships (you’re not one to get too comfy without seeing if other options could be more beneficial for our business and growth!).
- You’ve successfully established strong relationships with our warehousing and shipping partners, enough so that you’ve just received a “kudos” email from our EU warehouse partner after the fun call you just held with them to educate them about our impact mission and help them feel invested in and aligned with our company goals.
- You briefed our New Product Development team on the regulatory requirements for cross-border transport that we should expect for upcoming product lines, laying down allll the nitty gritty details to ensure we remain in compliance.
- You hopped on a train to travel to our newest EU warehouse in the Netherlands (COVID regulations permitting) in order to meet the warehouse team and oversee our first shipment process.
- When travel isn’t accessible, you’re jumping on an early morning call with our shipping partner to sort out a roadblock and have it solved before your team in the US is even awake!
- You completed your initial 6-month review of warehouse network strategy you implemented for our EU and UK geos, and collaborated with our Logistics Lead in Los Angeles to tweak your scoped and costed plan for the upcoming 6 months based on key learnings.
- You dug through your closet for the best costume you could find and dressed up for the company-wide Zoom party celebrating the launch of a new product line. You mayyy have won best costume, too, but who’s counting right? 😉
Let’s talk about you
We all know there’s nothing quite like good-old real-life experience, and it would be awesome if you’ve been on a similar crazy start-up growth journey before and can bring a deep understanding of direct-to-consumer logistics in the EU and UK.
We’re looking for a savvy problem-solver who’s not afraid to take an independent lead on projects, and who can learn the ins and outs of our business quickly. And of course, someone who jumps at the opportunity to make a big impact through your work.
You build strong, commercially savvy, strategic partnerships
When it comes to building third-party partnerships, you know how to think about the day-to-day process flow, and how to stay friendly yet also ready and able to jump into the commercials. You know how to set meaningful, sustainable and realistic performance measures and targets. Not only have you had experience managing third-party suppliers, but you can also effectively find and select partners in line with business values and goals.
You’re focused, disciplined and super organised
You’re able to maintain momentum on our big picture goals and projects and also jump into day to day tasks. You take the lead in prioritisation to make big, long scary lists look manageable and less daunting for others. You keep on top of your own work and ensure critical deadlines are met.
You make communication (even across language barriers!) look effortless
You know that seamless communication is everything when it comes to partner management, internal collaboration, and, of course, nailing the customer delivery experience. You bring experience working on global teams and with cross-border logistics and warehouse partners, and you’ll go the extra mile to find a translator when you really need it, or jump on a midnight call with a teammate in Australia if it means a problem can be solved that much more quickly (and then remember to balance that out with a sleep in!).
You’re not afraid to get your hands dirty (in fact, you kinda like it!)
You’re comfortable being responsible for the front-line, tactical and day to day operational elements of logistics, as well as the loftier strategic and commercial objectives. You’re able to execute on your own and don’t mind rolling your sleeves up when needed.
You’re data and tech obsessed
Logistics might be behind the tech curve in many respects, but that doesn’t mean you are. You understand the power of technology to transform businesses and industries, are confident with finding and deploying new tools and don’t take a “that’s IT’s job” approach to tech. You also love data and can unlock its power to inform yourself and others and make good decisions.
You give a crap
Yep. We’re all here because we genuinely want to make the world a better place with our work, and we want you to want that too! Awwww.
Why you should work with us
Every minute you spend working with us, you’re making a difference. The more we grow, the bigger an impact we’ll have. Sell your soul no longer! We think that’s a pretty great perk, but we don’t stop there…If you have a great idea, we’ll do everything we can to make it happen. This is the kind of role that will be hard to find anywhere else: you’ll work with an incredible bunch of passionate people to grow a fast-paced startup at a crucial point in its trajectory.
The job is also amazingly flexible, something we’re working hard to uphold even as we grow super quickly. We started the business remotely, and now have hubs in 4 cities around the world, including our main office in Melbourne and a satellite office in Los Angeles (during the pandemic, we have transitioned to working completely remotely company-wide). You'll have the flexibility to work wherever suits you best, and spend some days in your PJs in your living room, and others posted up at your favorite cafe. Up to you! And while we don’t have a Friday drinks cart (well, that's pretty hard to do via Zoom at the moment), you will get free toilet paper. A lot of it. And nothing beats that.
Lastly, you get to say the word ‘crap’ more than in any other job. Guaranteed.
This depends on your experience but just because we’re a social enterprise doesn’t mean you’ll get paid peanuts. Think chocolate covered macadamia nuts with some extra perks thrown in. In other words, we pay competitively and are determined to make this the best job you'll ever have – you won’t ever want to leave! We’re ideally looking to fill this role full time, and will balance our global offering with local requirements based on the location of our hire.
On top of the normal perks like annual leave, we also provide flexibility to take extra unpaid leave or travel while working, we provide a health insurance stipend, generous parental leave, training and development budget and a whole lot of other stuff. And did we mention the free toilet paper?