Position start date: As soon as possible
Contract type and length: Freelance, fulltime, minimum of 12 months, renewable.
About JOGL: Just One Giant Lab (JOGL) is the first research and innovation laboratory operating as a distributed, open and massive mobilisation platform for collaborative task solving towards achieving the SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals). JOGL helps humanity to sync onto fixing our most urgent and important challenges using Open Science, Responsible Innovation and Continuous Learning. JOGL partners with academic labs, companies, startups, foundations, NGOs and public services to create participatory research programs for understanding and solving Health, Environmental, Social and Humanitarian issues.
JOGL’s website: https://jogl.io
Context and position overview: JOGL is currently developing an ambitious program dedicated to the African continent to promote and strengthen African open science and open source innovation. We are therefore seeking to extend our team to better support local Open Science projects and communities with regional partners in Africa. We are therefore looking for a highly motivated and autonomous person to help us develop and manage JOGL in Africa.
Team structure: You will be working closely and remotely within a team of local coordinators and ambassadors, as well as experts, in conjunction with the global team structure of JOGL (see team section on our website) and an existing and growing network of partners. We convene regularly (weekly and bymonthly meetings) for the regional as well as the global context, respectively, in order to coordinate and facilitate seamless development of the projects and programmes hosted on the JOGL platform.
Deliverables and scope of work:
- Represent and pilot the operations of JOGL in Africa in collaboration with the whole JOGL team and manage the JOGL Africa team composed of local coordinators (to be hired), community managers, experts and community members in Africa.
- Co-design and coordinate a JOGL open research and innovation program dedicated to the development and support of communities and projects on the African continent. The program will be executed thanks to a network of regional partners and ambassadors. The main goal of this program is the collective creation and gathering of African open knowledge and open source tools able to advance the SDGs, especially in a “One Health” perspective (Human health, Animal health, Environmental health).
- This program aims to:
- Help Africa-focused open science and innovation project teams voice and solve their pain points -- giving them a platform to do so, and allowing them to support each other.
- Help program teams better understand the challenges faced at the project level and in the African regional context in order to respond to those challenges and allow the initiative as a whole to better achieve its goals.
- Help match project teams with mentors from the JOGL community at large to address project challenges.
- All reports and data sets compiled will be shared Open Access and with open licenses on the JOGL platform as well as African governmental and/or scholarly literature and data repositories
- Growing the JOGL community in Africa and developing and animating a pan-African network of partners involved in Open Science, Innovation and Education activities to advance the SDGs.
- Other deliverables depending on needs that arise, time- and budget-permitting.
- Be the main point of contact for JOGL in Africa.
- Oversee, coordinate and implement the JOGL in Africa strategy, suggest amendments where necessary as the program evolves.
- Manage the JOGL Africa team
- Monitor active Africa-focused projects and offer facilitation where needs are indicated as well as proactively for selected projects
Weekly/Monthly: Check the status of newly registered JOGL Members, Needs, Projects, Groups and Challenges with a focus on African context. Facilitate matching of potential collaboration partners based on interests and needs for the projects.
As needed: Oversee progress of Africa-focused projects, facilitate communication where needed
Qualifications and Experience:
- Preferably based in Africa and experienced with entrepreneurial, innovation OR academic networks and inter-disciplinary as well as international experience.- inside Africa and globally.
- In-depth knowledge, understanding and recognition of the pan-African context in its diversity and complexity.
- Experience with digital tools and communication platforms that are actively used in various parts of the continent for efficient communication.
- Understanding of the academic, entrepreneurial and/or innovation landscape and knowledge of various communities in these sectors on the continent.
- Takes action proactively and works well independently and with minimal supervision.
- Ability to use Slack, Zoom and social media platforms efficiently.
- Team player with the confidence to take the lead and guide others (employees and volunteers) when necessary.
- Ability to identify potential negative or crisis situations and apply conflict resolution principles to mitigate issues.
- Fluent written and spoken English (JOGL working language). Fluency in French, Arabic Portuguese, Swahili or another African language is a plus.
This is a 3-step process:
1- fill out this application form. Candidates will be considered in the order of application.
2- Shortlisted candidates in step 1, shortlisted candidates will be asked to provide answers to a set a questions
3- Shortlisted candidates in step 2, shortlisted candidates will be interviewed by JOGL’s CEO Thomas Landrain and the JOGL Africa team.
In case of any questions, please reach out to email@example.com.