Position available at ELIE & Elephant Valley Project
Sen Monorom, Mondulkiri, Cambodia
Elephant Livelihood Initiative Environment (E.L.I.E.) is a registered local non-government organization based in Mondulkiri, Cambodia, founded in 2006. ELIE’s aim is to improve the health and welfare of the captive elephants in Mondulkiri Province, work to conserve the wild elephants natural habitat and to support the local people who work with these magnificent creatures. In 2007, the Elephant Valley Project (EVP) was launched as a sanctuary developed to create a home for injured and overworked elephants and is now ELIE’s centrepiece for elephant conservation.
ELIE is unique in terms that its primary source of funding comes directly from donations made by local and international visitors and volunteers to the EVP. Since 2006 the NGO has evolved and grown, with the development of the EVP as an award winning ecotourism attraction, providing a sustainable financing mechanism for funding all ELIE programs. To further promote awareness on elephant welfare, wildlife and forest conservation, in 2014 we also opened the Hefalump Café – Mondulkiri’s Responsible Tourism Hub. This café project, based in town, was set up with other partner NGO’s including WWF, Wildlife Conservation Society and MIPAD to provide a space to promote community ecotourism projects contributing to conservation, as well as a training centre and a place for communities sell their handicraft products.
We are now seeking to fill the position of Ecotourism, Sales & Marketing Coordinator to further develop and promote awareness of our ecotourism projects. The elephants are our biggest focus, but we need someone with sales and marketing skills to bring awareness to their plight and also profile the work we are doing to an international audience.
The role has 4 main focuses:
1) Sales. The main focus of the job is sell the EVP product. The more income we can generate from our ecotourism program, the more funding we have for elephant and forest conservation! You will communicate with booking partners for the EVP and manage the bookings system. This includes answering booking emails, updating availability, schedules and working with the ground crew each day. You will also be in charge of maintaining relationships with key booking partners, developing new product and pitching new sales partners.
2) Marketing. On the marketing and communications side of things you will help to compile marketing collateral, website content and weekly social media content for both the EVP and the Hub. A keen eye and design flare will be beneficial.
3) Ecotourism Centre. At the Hefalump Café, you will coordinate the running of the Hub, including representing and promoting all ecotourism projects in the centre, managing the finances, supporting and training local staff on hospitality, sales and marketing, while also developing other local partnerships and facilitating centre events.
4) Elephants J As we have many groups of visitors, this position will also act as the back up forest and elephant assistant where together with the local guide, you will take visitors and volunteers to view the elephants in the forests of EVP, providing an interpretive educational tour. You will also be asked to stay onsite at the sanctuary on a rotation basis, mingling with guests and volunteers and running night time activities.
The position will be based at the Hefalump Café - The Hub in Sen Monorom, working Sun-Fri, with some time spent at the EVP as well as also visiting partners in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap. We can offer a local salary, $500 USD per month, that is enough to support yourself here in Mondulkiri. An initial commitment of 1 year is required, however we would prefer a 2 year commitment. We are looking for someone to start ASAP. Although this is a town based position, you will visit the EVP and elephants at the sanctuary many times, as we all wear many hats here and sometimes need all hands on deck.
- Tourism/communications/sales management background
- Marketing and sales experience
- Hospitality experience
- Ability to work independently
- Highly organised and ability to manage multiple tasks concurrently
- You will need to be a bubbly, outgoing and resourceful person who is ready to deal with all the questions that pop up daily from visitors to the Hub, as you are the face of the EVP and other partner projects displayed in the Hub
- Passion for responsible/sustainable tourism
- Ability to live in a remote location
- Web design/graphic design
- Experience working in a cross cultural environment
We envisage this position to be for someone that has a strong interest in selling ecotourism and conservation, who wants a start in an organization working overseas in this field, and wants the chance to fall in love with elephants :)
Applications due by end of August 2019