Do you have at least three years’ experience working in campaigning within the NGO, charity or grassroots movement-building space? Have you got a passion for the idea that business can be used to drive positive change in the world? Do issues of social and environmental justice drive you to take action?
Values-led ice cream company Ben & Jerry’s is recruiting an Activism Manager to lead social and environmental justice campaigns with our team in Paris, France.
About Ben & Jerry’s
Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc., started in 1978 in a renovated gas station in Burlington, Vermont, USA, founded by childhood friends and dedicated activists Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield. In 2000 Ben & Jerry’s became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Unilever whilst maintaining an independent Board of Directors to provide leadership focused on preserving and expanding Ben & Jerry's social mission, brand integrity, and product quality.
At Ben & Jerry’s we have an inspiring ambition. We aim to pioneer our ‘linked prosperity business model’ to advance the global movement for social and economic justice while growing our business. This translates into a high-paced environment where we bring our grassroots and activist spirit into everything we do.
Ben & Jerry’s ice cream is known for its big chunks and irreverent tone of voice. We have already run a number of activism campaigns in France and are looking to continue to grow our impact in the social justice sector. We have Activism Managers in the UK, Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden and Spain, and this role will therefore join a growing network of campaigners across the company!
Role & Responsibilities
The primary role of the Activism Manager is to translate Ben & Jerry’s values into successful externally-focused social justice campaigns that demonstrate the company’s global commitment to our social mission goals, and drive action across France to meet these goals. This includes:
- Lead in building authentic and “living” campaigns in France that tie in with our two global Social Mission goals of supporting refugee & asylum seeker rights and fighting for climate justice, under the direction of the Head of Activism for Ben & Jerry’s Europe and the Country Business Leader for Ben & Jerry’s France. These campaigns should drive action primarily in Ben & Jerry’s fan-base, and secondarily, when possible, through extended stakeholder constituencies, using compelling content and messaging through our key communication channels as a company.
- Work with a number of key stakeholders (both internal and external) to organise and mobilise to deliver activism campaigns that focus on positive social change. It inlcudes: for-profit, non-profit, non-governmental organisations, progressive advocates, civil society organisations, alternative trading organisations, social enterprises, legislators and public officials; educating them in regard to our social mission and intention to make positive changes in our communities.
- Given Ben & Jerry’s unique position within Unilever, the ability to build excellent relationships within both Unilever and Ben & Jerry’s will be essential. Having the right energy and attitude to connect both parts of our organisation will be critical for success
- Play a major role in developing and nurturing partnerships that advance public policies that foster a vibrant, just and sustainable economy and society in France.
- Support the roll out and scaling up of our refugee entrepreneurship programme, the Ice Academy, that has recently launched in Paris, working hand in hand with the OOH team & partners. The programme combines a 4 month entrepreneurship training programme with part time employment through Ben & Jerry’s partners.
- Connect with the European Activism Team based in the Ben & Jerry’s Europe office in the UK, and the Global Activism Manager based in Vermont, USA, to support the roll out of our global activism strategy in France.
- Work closely with the digital, social media, PR and Marketing teams and agencies to support the delivery of activism campaigns in France, as well as increasing knowledge and understanding of our activism model, and our issue focus areas of refugee & asylum rights and climate justice, within the team and agencies we work with in France.
- Support the development of activism content for websites and social media in France.
- Initiate innovative ways to help others recognise the central role that business plays in the structure of society and the quality of life at both the national and international levels.
Skills & Experience
Given Ben & Jerry’s unique position within Unilever, the ability to build excellent relationships within both Unilever and Ben & Jerry’s will be essential. We are looking for people who can ultimately leverage the marketing excellence and operational effectiveness that is built by Unilever – while preserving the 3 part mission and community of connectivity within Ben & Jerry’s. Our kind of candidate is/has:
- Three years of previous campaign experience and a proven track of campaign strategy development.
- Knowledge or experience in Social business, NGOs, Sociology, Community Organizing, Political Science, or related fields relevant to this work.
- Knowledge of public policy and the political process in France.
- A belief in the power of grass-roots campaigningand commitment to movement-building as a theory of change.
- Experience and understanding of how to use a diverse set of tools and channels, including digital and social media, to inspire people to action in support of progressive social change.
- Creative, with a grasp of what makes a good story
- Values ethical brands, with experience working directly in or with business a plus.
- Experience working across multi-cultural and diverse communities.
- Strong interpersonal, leadership, communication, negotiation and diplomacy skills. Ability to influence internal and external partners in order to establish a collaborative stakeholder alignment across a complex globally matrixed organization
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills (media experience is a plus).
- Attention to detail, planning and preparation.
- Will work independently, with limited oversight, while defining the role.
- Professional level English is required
- Fluency in French is required; the local team use French for business operations
Our people profile
To support our 3-part mission, Ben & Jerry’s also has an outspoken people-mission. We look for people with these characteristics to strengthen our team:
- Purpose-driven: passion and drive to make a real impact through our Social Mission
- Empathy: curious to collaborate with a variety of personalities and styles and to build excellent relationships with internal & external stakeholders – this includes cross-functional relationships and striving for collaborative success
- Mastery: continuously learn, grow and develop to contribute to B&Js
- Autonomy: dare to make choices and take ownership
- Activism: interested in bringing about political or social connectivity
Location: Rueil Malmaison, Paris.
Contract: Part-time (ideally 3 to 4 working days) for 12-months, with a view to extend.
We would like the chosen candidate to begin on September, 9th, 2019 ideally.
To apply send a CV and cover letter in both French and English (sorry!) to: email@example.com with the title Activism Manager France Application before July,30th 2019.
Then, interviews will be planned betwenn the 7th and 8th of August 2019.
In your cover letter you should highlight two social justice campaigns that have caught your eye in recent times, outlining:
Why they have been successful in bringing about social change?
How the campaign developed an effective theory of change?
How they effectively engaged with people power?
How the campaign understood power dynamics?
What you believe could have been improved in the campaign?
Considering Ben & Jerry’s Social Mission goals, we’d also love to hear your thoughts on the following:
What you see as the main issues facing refugees or asylum seekers in France?
What you see as France’s role within the climate justice movement?