Do you wish to combine reporting, fundraising and program management to defending and promoting Human Rights? Have you always wanted to use your professional assets to contribute to the development of a respected, principled and impactful organization?
This offer will be of interest to you. Please find below a description of the position and of its requirements.
Who we are:
CIHRS is a unique organization that has demonstrated its credibility in the field of human rights and democracy since its inception in 1993. During the many political storms that have come, passed and remain ongoing throughout the MENA region, CIHRS has repeatedly demonstrated its ability to stand above the politics of national interest groups. As a growing and increasingly influential organization, CIHRS remains resolutely committed to its core principles of respect for human rights and justice.
CIHRS and its partners from across the MENA region have contributed to numerous successful international advocacy initiatives. Among many achievements, these advocacy efforts have succeeded in pressuring national governments to modify or halt legislation that threatens freedom of assembly and association, and in mobilizing powerful international organizations such as the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) to take strong stances on repressive governments violating the basic rights of their citizens.
As a regional organization deeply embedded within the human rights movement in MENA, CIHRS both fosters strong connections with civil society organizations on the ground and effectively engages with major players in the international community. Through decades of activism, engagement and monitoring of regional and global politics, CIHRS has gradually increased its institutional capacity and international reach, largely through the establishment of CIHRS offices in Europe and North Africa. Given its strategic operational setup and broad range of partnerships across the world, CIHRS has a distinctive ability to connect local human rights violations in MENA to global security and stability concerns.Mission Statement
CIHRS advocates for human rights and democracy across the MENA region. Through the elevation of local voices, CIHRS contributes to the building of sustainable, prosperous, and peaceful societies.Objectives
To protect public space and advocate for democratic practices across the MENA region, CIHRS aims to engage and encourage interest-driven actors to respect human rights, justice and accountability.
- Increase the visibility and
capacity of local human rights and democracy activists to engage and advocate
on rights issues on the national, regional and international level.
- Foster solidarity, enhance
coordination, and build networks between human rights and democracy defenders
across the MENA region.
- Support effective national,
regional and international advocacy campaigns on rights issues.
- Nurture and spread a culture of respect for human rights principles among the future generation of leaders in the MENA region.
CIHRS is looking for a Program Development Associate (PDA) to join our dynamic team at the Cairo Institute for Human Rights Studies (CIHRS). Working within the Programs Development Department, the PDA will report directly to the Program Development Officer in Tunis and to the Fundraising Manager in Brussels on funding opportunities, grant proposals drafting, donor’s activity reports, and monitoring and evaluation of CIHRS programs. The PDA will play a key role in collecting information from CIHRS’s growing staff, in identifying impacts of CIHRS engagements and in ensuring that they are communicated in an accurate and informative manner to donors, partners and staff. This position therefore requires diligence, creativity, self-motivation, flexibility and excellent social, verbal and written communication skills. Ability to work with a multicultural and decentralized team as well as organizational skills are also essential. In addition, candidates must demonstrate ability to generate, organize and manage priorities independently.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reporting and Communicating on CIHRS activities and impacts
- Understand, follow-up on requirements and respect deadlines listed in grant agreements with donors
- Ensure tailored and regular communication on activities and results based on donors’ priorities and areas of support
- Coordinate with staff and partners on a regular basis to collect information on implemented actions and achievements
- Develop evaluation tools and indicators to assess the impact of CIHRS programs
- Draft qualitative donor reports and communication material that accurately and effectively portrays the range of CIHRS’s objectives, activities, and impacts
- Ability and appetite to create visual contents such as films, photography or infographics will be considered as an asset
- Nurturing and maintaining relationships with CIHRS Donors
- In coordination with the communications department, develop and sustain effective communication channels with donors with the aim of maintaining active working relationships and cultivating long-term funding and collaboration
- Address in a timely manner donors’ requests in liaison with internal staff
- Develop presentations and supporting materials for donor meetings and fundraising events
- Develop communications materials for donors
- Represent CIHRS at networking events and meetings
- Manage and update CIHRS donors database in an autonomous and regular basis with a view to both consolidate and expand the donor base, to diversify sources of funding and secure long term funding
- Monitor donors websites to identify calls for proposals and funding opportunities
- Provide CIHRS management with briefings and recommendations on funding opportunities
- Draft narrative concept notes and proposals matching with budget repartitions
- Represent CIHRS in donors meetings events
- All such other things as may be reasonably requested from time to time or as may be necessary to the functioning of a lean, dynamic, flexible and efficient NGO.
It is highly desirable that the successful applicant has or can demonstrate:
- University degree in a relevant discipline
- A minimum of two years of experience in fundraising or a similar field. Demonstrated experience in reporting, M&E and proposals writing will be considered as an asset
- Experience with non-profit organizations;
- Strong commitment to, and passion for, the principles and practice of human rights;
- Demonstrated interest and understanding of sociopolitical developments in MENA
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English; additional languages such as Arabic or French will be considered as strong assets;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to work independently as well as part of a multi-cultural team;
- Ability to represent CIHRS and interact with a variety of donors, including government officials;
- Ability to prioritize and deliver to tight deadlines
- 1 year contract subjected to a 3 months probation period. Renewal subject
- Commencement: as soon as possible
- Direct supervisor: Fundraising Manager
- Working hours: Full time – 40h/week
- Based: Tunis
CIHRS seeks exceptional applicants and offers competitive salaries and benefits. Salaries will be determined based on the employee’s position on the wage scale.
Commitment to Equality:
CIHRS is committed to ensuring equality and non-discrimination on grounds
of sex, race, religion or belief in its hiring process. CIHRS is a
multicultural environment that celebrates diversity. All employees are expected
to promote and act in a manner that ensures a non-discriminatory, open and sensitive
approach to others from different backgrounds and cultures.