The organisation – Shanghai Young Bakers (SYB)
Shanghai Young Bakers (SYB) is a charity program
providing free training in French bakery to marginalised Chinese youth aged 17
to 23, enabling them to find qualified jobs and lead independent lives after
SYB empowers disadvantaged young adults who had
to drop out of school because of their family situation (parents’ death,
sickness, disability or imprisonment) and are excluded from stable employment.
Thanks to the generosity of our sponsors and donors, SYB students follow a one-year training where they learn valuable skills such as French bakery and pastry, Chinese bakery, life skills and English, combined with practical internships at 5-star hotels. Due to the high demand of qualified bakers on the Chinese market, 30 students each year start a new life as bakers or pastry chefs and are able to support themselves and their families.
The charity program was founded in 2008. In order to increase its financial stability, since end 2011 SYB operates a social enterprise program, that offers half-day bakery classes, bread & pastry catering, and technical consulting services to individuals and companies wishing to contribute to the success and sustainability of the program.
SYB is managed by a small but dynamic French-Chinese team, and operates under the administrative governance of Chi Heng Foundation.
The position – Projects director
The Projects Director provides strategic support
to the program by leading and managing several training and educational aspects
of the program, in coordination with the program educational partners and under
the guidance of the Executive Director.
The Projects Director should work towards
maximizing the students’ training opportunities and facilitating their
integration into the working world, in particular by ensuring (1) the charity
nature of the program, (2) the high quality of the training, and (3) the
long-term sustainability of the organization.
The exact role will be adjusted to better fit the
candidate’s specific skills, experience and interests.
• Participate in setting the vision and landmarks for the next five years, ensure planning and implementation
• Help manage relations with training & education partners
• Guide / coach the training/educational staff (4 teachers) in their everyday work and in their personal professional development; set up career plans
• Liaise with partner and potential partner NGOs to receive student applications; review and improve recruitment material as appropriate (April-July)
• Together with the teachers, review candidates and conduct interviews to select 32 students, and help organize their arrival in Shanghai (July-August)
education / training monitoring and supervision
• Coordinate and supervise curriculum design, program implementation and training organization, for all areas including
• Technical bakery & pastry training
• General professional skills (hygiene, fire safety, food safety…)
• English language
• Soft skills and character development
• Monitor and encourage students’ psychological well-being and overall progress, including during their internships, together with the social educator and bakery teachers
• Manage any student-related emergency (in particular, physical, emotional, social, and professional)
• Evaluate training quality and lead improvements
• Manage internship-related issues with the concerned hotels/bakeries partners
• Negotiate and follow-up on partnership renewal; lead the search for new internship partners
• Oversee program’s participation in bakery-related exhibitions, shows, competitions and focused social events
• Ensure promotion of the program and sponsors’ visibility
• Oversee design, content & updates of all communication material
for future developments / long-term sustainability
• Assist the return of our two graduates currently in France to be trained as SYB teachers, and support the transition into their new role (June-September)
• Aid the selection of two new graduates/students to be trained as SYB’s future bakery trainers
• Work towards raising the quality standards at SYB Baking Centre to support the professional as well as commercial developments of the program;
• Stay aware of cooperation opportunities with other NGOs to increase social impact; for example, by expanding the “Train-the-Trainer” program with like-minded NGOs
to work in a growing multi-cultural non-profit organization with a strong
interest in social enterprise development. Committed to making a difference.
• Potential to lead, influence, and efficiently support operational and strategic decisions to drive the program as a high-quality, sustainable social model.
• Strong working knowledge in French, English and Mandarin (ex: able to effectively lead meetings in any of these languages)
• Experience of project coordination in a multi-cultural setting. Good knowledge of Chinese culture and working environment.
• Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills (in all 3 languages)
• Strong organizational skills; able to work collaboratively and independently.
• Interest in the food/bakery industry.
contract: 3 years, renewable, with a 3-month trial period
• Full-time, activities/meetings to be expected on weekends/evenings
• Location: Shanghai
o Office work: Chi Heng Foundation Shanghai office (长寿路武宁路)
o Events/classes: SYB Baking Centre （普陀区绥德路）or Caoyang Vocational School (普陀区清涧路240号)
o Outside meetings & events to be expected
• Base salary in line with China NGO standards + fixed bonus depending on qualifications, experience and dedication.
• Strong development opportunities towards an overall management/leadership role