Have you got a passion for the idea that business can be used to do good things in the world? Do issues of social and environmental justice drive you to take action? Do you have experience working in campaigning at charities or NGOs?
Values-led ice cream company Ben & Jerry’s is recruiting a Social Mission Manager to work with its team in the Nordics.
About Ben & Jerry’s
Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc., started in 1978 in a renovated gas station in Burlington, Vermont, USA, founded by childhood friends and dedicated activists Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield. In 2000 Ben & Jerry’s became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Unilever whilst maintaining an independent Board of Directors to provide leadership focused on preserving and expanding Ben & Jerry's social mission, brand integrity, and product quality. Nowadays our products are distributed in 35 countries in supermarkets, grocery stores, convenience stores, franchise Ben & Jerry’s Scoop Shops, restaurants and other venues.
At Ben & Jerry’s we have an inspiring ambition. We aim to pioneer our ‘linked prosperity business model’ to advance the global movement for social and economic justice while growing our business. Therefore we are expanding rapidly in Europe as well as in new markets in Asia and Latin America. This translates into a high-paced growth environment where we bring our grassroots and activist spirit every day. That is how we remain a true values-led organisation with a connected 3 part mission, which you will find reflected in your goals and aspirations:
- Social mission: to initiate innovative ways to improve the quality of life locally, nationally and internationally
- Product mission: to make and distribute the finest quality all natural and super premium ice-cream and euphoric concoctions
- Economic mission: to operate the Company on a sustainable financial basis of profitable growth
Launched in 2004 in Sweden, Ben & Jerry’s ice cream is known for its big chunks and irreverent tone of voice. For the past few years, the brand has expanded distribution & awareness.
Ben & Jerry’s Sweden is now at the stage of development that require us to have a local Social Mission campaigns manager to bring our linked prosperity model to life in Sweden. Ben & Jerry’s have recruited similar roles for the UK, Germany,France and Netherlands businesses.
Role & Responsibilities
The primary role of the Social Mission Manager is to translate Ben & Jerry’s values into successful externally-focused activist campaigns that demonstrate the company’s global commitment to our social mission goals, and drive action across the Nordics to meet these goals. The job requires significant integration with other departments and organisations both internally and externally, and across multiple geographies.
• Lead in building authentic and “living” campaigns across the Nordics, but with an initial focus on Sweden, that tie in with our global social mission goals, and incite action primarily in Ben & Jerry’s consumer base, and secondarily, when possible, through extended stakeholder constituencies, using compelling content and messaging connected to our brand and business, Mission and Values, and current Social Mission priorities.
• Work with a number of key stakeholders (both internal and external) to organise and mobilise to deliver on our Company’s commitment related to “linked prosperity”.
• Play a major role in developing and nurturing partnerships that advance public policies that foster a vibrant, just and sustainable economy in the Nordics.
• Initiate innovative ways to help others recognise the central role that business plays in the structure of society and the quality of life at both the national and international levels.
• Create opportunities to work with multiple stakeholders, including: for-profit, non-profit, non-governmental organisations, progressive advocates, civil society organisations, alternative trading organisations, social enterprises, legislators and public officials; educating them in regard to our social mission and intention to make positive changes in our community.
• Connect with the European Social Mission team based in the Ben & Jerry’s Europe office in the UK, to support the integration of social mission initiatives across Europe.
• Work closely with the Regional Social Mission Manager of Ben & Jerry’s Europe, plus Social Mission teams in UK, Netherlands, Germany and France to provide scale to our social mission goals in Europe.
• Developing effective relationships with relevant internal and external stakeholders to achieve established goals and objectives for new and existing Social Mission initiatives.
• Support the development of Social Mission content for websites and social media in the Nordics.
• Work closely with the digital, social media, PR and marketing teams and agencies to support the delivery of Social Mission consumer facing campaigns in the Nordics, as well as increasing knowledge and understanding of key social mission challenges within the team in the Nordics.
Skills & Experience
Given Ben & Jerry’s unique position within Unilever, the ability to build excellent relationships within both Unilever and Ben & Jerry’s will be essential. We are looking for people who can ultimately leverage the marketing excellence and operational effectiveness that is built by Unilever – while preserving the 3 part mission and community of connectivity within Ben & Jerry’s. Having the right energy and attitude to connect both parts of our organisation will be critical for success. Our kind of candidate is/has:
• At least three to five years of previous experience and a proven track record managing campaigns – either political or social campaigns – covering a broad geography and demographic (i.e.: local, regional, national; targeted or multiple stakeholder campaigns) or else has experience of managing projects targeting social impact at scale.
• Knowledge of traditional, current and emerging movement-building tactics and technologies, including grassroots outreach and organising, events, and digital media.
• Experience working with different cultures and a good understanding of how to inspire people everywhere to become active participants in our campaigns.
• Minimum degree or equivalent practical experiences in Political Science, Sociology, Community Organising or related fields relevant to this work; Marketing, Communications, or a Business degree a plus. Graduate degree a plus.
• Passion for sustainability and social action
• Values ethical brands
• Good analytical thinker
• Smart and swift
• Passion for communication
• Interest in emerging digital channels
• Interest in PR, or a strong grasp of what makes a good story
• Professional English
• Professional Swedish
Our people profile
To support our 3-part mission, Ben & Jerry’s also has an outspoken people-mission. We look for people with these characteristics to strengthen our team:
- Purpose-driven: passion and drive to make a real impact with through our Social Mission
- Empathy: curious to collaborate with a variety of personalities and styles and to build excellent relationships with internal & external stakeholders – this includes cross-functional relationships and striving for collaborative success
- Mastery: continuously learn, grow and develop to contribute to B&Js
- Autonomy: dare to make choices and take ownership
- Activism: interested in bringing about political or social connectivity
Role: We are ideally looking for a candidate to work three or four days a week, but are open to applications from those looking for full time roles also.
Location: This role will be based in Sweden at the Ben & Jerry’s Nordics office, within Unilever Nordics.
Salary: Competitive, dependent on experience.
Contract: 12 months starting in May 2016, with a three month probation period.