About Kiron Open Higher Education
Kiron OHE (gUG) is a Berlin-based non-profit start-up whose mission is to remove barriers that prevent refugees and displaced people from accessing higher education. We aim to facilitate the economic and social integration of those populations in Europe. Our students complete two years of study online and integrate one of our partner universities in the third year, where they obtain an accredited university degree. Kiron is currently implementing a branch in Paris and is in the process of extending Kiron's actions in France. For more information, please visit https://kiron.ngo.
The Student Support and Administration Manager will have the opportunity to meet and communicate with refugees interested in becoming Kiron students, helping to guide them through the registration and administrative processes. The position is unique in that it incorporates both personal contact with students and the organizational rigor inherent in building and maintaining viable databases and management systems.
The chosen candidate will be recruited as a volunteer officially contracted by the Berlin headquarters. The chosen canditate will be a fully integrated member of the Kiron network. Duration of the contract is negotiable. Hours are flexible and decided within the Kiron France team; given experience the position requires 15-20 hours per week. The position is unpaid, but dependent on funding there exists opportunity to eventually work yourself into a full time position. Deadline for application is April 22, 2016. Orientation will occur in early May. The candidate should preferably begin working during summer 2016.
The Student Support and Administration Manager will work with our Student Services Director for the purposes of overseeing the following tasks:
- Managing our student database and registration process
- Organizing student inscription procedures
- Availability for answering student questions and concerns
- Implementing our student mentoring program
- Developing further student support structures
- Coordinating with Student Services volunteers
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Fluent in English and French; communicative competency in Arabic, Farsi a plus
- Experience managing and organizing databases
- Friendly demeanor and competency in cross-cultural communication
- General interest in education and refugee services
- Flexibility and a desire to participate in a fast-paced start-up environment
The candidate should be able to make a one-year commitment to the position.