Do you want to learn how to excel in the world of social entrepreneurship? Are you interested in working at the grassroots level with local entrepreneurs who want to become leaders in their communities? Do you want to work with a dynamic team of entrepreneurs and passionate colleagues from around the world who strive to create positive community impact? If you answered yes to these questions, a job with Community Empowerment Solutions and Social Entrepreneur Corps might be a great fit for you!
Community Empowerment Solutions (CE Solutions) is an award-winning nonprofit organization that was established with the goal of empowering businesses and educating entrepreneurs to make a difference in their communities. CE Solutions identifies, trains, equips, and supports individuals and organizations to provide sustainable solutions that address long-standing rural, economic, health, and educational programs. We create access to essential products and services for communities, individuals, organizations, and small business throughout rural regions of Latin America.
CE Solutions works closely with its two sister organizations: Social Entrepreneur Corps (SE Corps) and Soluciones Comunitarias (SolCom) to deliver innovative and sustainable solutions throughout Latin America. SE Corps provides service-learning internships to students from around the world, in which they serve as community consultants for ongoing field projects. SolCom is an independently registered nonprofit organization in Guatemala that works closely with CE Solutions to run local, year-round projects, and deliver social innovations.
CE Solutions co-founder and CEO, Greg VanKirk is a two-time winner of the Ashoka Globalizer Award (2014, 2010), the Schwab Foundation "2012 Social Entrepreneur of the Year for Latin America," the Ashoka Siemens SBDG (2010), and the Ashoka Lemelson Fellow (2008).
Duties/Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Needs and Wants Analysis:
- Conduct field research for a new product, social innovation, or partnership development.
- Assess needs and wants of local communities that are interested in collaboration with CE Solutions on services or product distribution
Social Innovation Design, Piloting and Support:
- Design, modify, implement, and disseminate social innovations effectively and efficiently to address education, economic, energy, and health challenges
- Assist in creation of new social innovations at the grassroots level
- Train, support, and follow-up with a team of local regional coordinators, entrepreneurs, and community partners
- Create and maintain strategic relationships with existing local, regional, national, and international organizations and institutions
Education and training:
- Empower and support local entrepreneurs ("Asesores Comunitarios")
- Provide basic business consulting to local organizations and small start-up businesses with interns from Social Entrepreneur Corps
- Mentor interns and provide an educational orientation to the basic philosophy and theories behind development work, social entrepreneurship, and the historical and cultural context of the country for Social Entrepreneur Corps
Evaluation and analysis:
- Monitor and evaluate our social impact through the empowerment metrics toolkit
- Follow-up with local entrepreneurs, communities, and organizations to gauge our impact
- Support of operations, including but not limited to, assistance with program budgets and impact reporting
- Manage solutions inventory, key documents and databases, and office organization
- Plan, arrange, and handle logistics for Social Entrepreneur Corps
- Assist in media communications for CE Solutions (including social media contributions, writing blog posts, and collecting photos from the field)
Requirements & Expectations:
- Commitment to the mission and values of Community Empowerment Solutions
- 4-year College Degree (Bachelors or its equivalent)
- At least a basic college-level Spanish ability
- Demonstrated leadership and teamwork skills
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- Flexibility and adaptability with work schedule and project content
- Self-motivator and ability to take initiative and ownership of work
- Willingness to live and work in rural Latin America, traveling extensively to all parts of country using public transportation
- Willingness to learn, coexist, and work in a new culture
- Desire to effect positive change in rural communities in Latin America
- Experience and/or background in development work, international studies, or business
- Experience living in developing countries, especially in rural areas
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Experience in website design and/or social media
In addition to the stipend and housing coverage listed above, there are several other benefits available through positions with CE Solutions and SE Corps:
- Opportunity to learn about local cultures of Latin America through working and traveling in urban and rural contexts throughout the placement country.
- Signing and closing bonuses to assist with airfare coverage.
- Learn how to juggle multiple priorities with both short and long-term projects, upper-level organizational needs, and programming with interns.
- Share our vision and goals in a variety of ways while strengthening your communication skills (social media; print communications; partnerships with universities; development of networking skills with local organizations).
- Opportunity to enhance, improve, and utilize Spanish language skills.
- First-hand experience in organizing and coordinating village access campaigns and community development projects.
- Management, coordination, and supervising experience of both local and expat staff.
- Working directly with local communities in need of increased access to public health and development services.
- Opportunity to work directly with the innovative MicroConsignment Model.
- Option to receive Certificate in Social Entrepreneurship through Columbia University's Business School.
- Access to online library of articles, videos, and resources curated by the SE Corps and CE Solutions team over the past 10 years (also includes online MOOC).
Opportunities available in the Dominican Republic starting immediately.
At least one year, with a three month trial period at beginning.
Please note that on site job training will be provided.