Changemaker Schools Volunteering Opportunity at Ashoka UK
Time commitment: Three project based placements available annually: January-April, May-August, September-December, and Full Time (with some flexibility)
Location: Ashoka UK’s office at 15 Old Ford Road, Bethnal Green, London, E2 9PJ
Volunteer position – expenses covered: London Travel Card Zones 1-2 + £5 per day for lunch
Please note that you must be eligible to work in the UK to apply for any paid or unpaid position at Ashoka UK.
For 35 years, Ashoka has pioneered the field of social entrepreneurship - finding, selecting and supporting some of the world’s leading social entrepreneurs. Our network of over 3,000 Ashoka Fellows is successfully implementing system-changing solutions to human and environmental problems in almost every area of need, in 85 countries. Ashoka Fellows are extraordinary changemakers. But we believe that everyone needs to become a changemaker.
We believe that everyone should be equipped with the skills that underpin social innovation. We believe that everyone should be given the opportunity to become the kind of human being who is fully equipped and inclined to change their world for the better - to thrive and help others thrive in the modern world. And we believe that the modern world demands this urgently. To help everyone become a changemaker, we need to make big changes in the way we school young people.
Building on our extensive experience with seasoned social entrepreneurs and with young changemakers, we are now working to catalyse fundamental changes in the experience of young people so that everyone can become a changemaker. Please see www.uk.ashoka.org and www.ashoka.org for more details.
Role and Responsibilities
Do you have a passion for education? Here in the Youth Years team at Ashoka, we’re bringing together the UK’s most innovative and impact-focused schools in the country. We’re building a network of schools and other important actors in education to re-imagine learning for the 21st century, prioritising empathy and changemaking as core student outcomes.
The activities associated with this role involve carrying out careful research on nominated primary and secondary schools, research and outreach to education related media and events organisation.
We’re conducting the search and selection of innovative changemaker schools in the UK. We’re looking for someone who can investigate promising candidates, and make a strong, detailed case for the best ones.
In addition, the team also focusses upon engaging the elected Changemaker Schools through networks, strategy, communications and events. Engagement activities involve organising events, logistics, building community and brokering partnerships.
Our new team mate will ideally have experience in the social sector and a personal track record of taking the lead. We hope that they will be as excited as we are to build Ashoka’s community partnerships.
Meet The Team:
You’ll love working with the Ashoka UK Team! We’re a diverse group – who are passionate about the social entrepreneurship sector. We always support ‘out of the box’ thinking and will make sure that you have space to develop your ideas and that you take initiatives on your own projects.
Scope of work
Changemaker Schools Selection and Engagement (50% or 2.5 days a week):
· Carrying out research into nominated primary and secondary schools;
· Evaluating school candidates and reaching out to shortlisted schools;
· Co-ordinating online and offline events and meetings with Changemaker Schools;
· Administrating Changemaker Schools on Salesforce.
Media Research (20% or 1 day a week):
- Researching and contacting media interested in innovation in education;
- Supporting the communications team in leveraging the impact of our work with Changemaker Schools.
Sector Research and Outreach (20% or 1 day a week):
- Research and contact potential partnership opportunities for Changemaker Schools.
Supporting Systems and Processes (10% or 0.5 day a week):
· Provide day-to-day admin support to the Youth Years team and the UK team.
Required Skills and Experience
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
· Demonstrated track record in producing high quality research and written materials;
· Ability to work productively, proactively and independently, on own initiative;
· Excellent time management skills;
· Organised and detail-oriented;
· Experience in the citizen sector, either as a social entrepreneur or a volunteer, trustee etc