Events and Visits Maternity Cover Opportunity at Ashoka UK
Time commitment: 8 months full time starting in January 2016 – August 2016
Location: Ashoka UK’s office at 15 Old Ford Road, Bethnal Green, London, E2 9PJ
Paid position – £18,000 annually
Ashoka is a global association of the world’s leading social entrepreneurs – men and women with systems changing solutions for the world’s most urgent social problems. Since 1981, we have elected over 3,000 outstanding social entrepreneurs as Ashoka Fellows, providing them with living stipends, professional support, and access to a global network of peers in 80 countries. Ashoka UK is in its eighth year of electing fellows and has currently elected more than 30 leading UK social entrepreneurs to the Ashoka fellowship. Please see www.uk.ashoka.org and www.ashoka.org for more details.
Role and Responsibilities
We are looking for a bright, tech-aware and detail-oriented individual with a passion for social entrepreneurship and innovation to join our team for 8 months. The role consists of coordinating Ashoka UK events and supporting international Fellows and staff visiting London.
A major part of the role will be to supervise our work at the Skoll World Forum in April 2016: a three day event in Oxford connecting thousands of delegates from Social Entrepreneurship sector where we organise critical debates, discussions and work sessions to communicate, accelerate and scale solutions to social challenges.
The role will also provide an insight into the processes and systems that support the UK office. This might include working with our database of contacts to improve Ashoka’s reach, or it might mean working on day to day office management.
The successful candidate will have experience of the citizen sector (social sector/ not-for-profits) in their extra-curricular activities, and a track record of taking initiative. The role would suit someone who is inquisitive and self-motivated, organised and details-oriented.
We expect the candidate to enthusiastically join in our core organisational activities as well. This is a great opportunity to experience working in the not-for-profit or social enterprise sectors and take on considerable responsibility.
Meet the Team
You’ll love working with the Ashoka UK team! We’re a bright, motivated group – who are determined to change the world. We share our successes and deal with our failures together. We’ll never forget your birthday and we’re always happy to hear your new ideas.
Events & Communication (50%):
· Coordinate and be proactive in the organisation and execution of Ashoka UK public events
o Manage Ashoka UK events calendar
o Supervise and coordinate the execution of specific Ashoka events: talks, conferences (speakers, logistics, marketing tools, budget, guest list, Media outreach, volunteers and staff management)
o Track and evaluate impact of each events
o Improve process for event organisation (template, toolkit, resources, etc.) and participate in the development of new events to provide more visibility and engage Ashoka stakeholders
· Orchestrate all the activities of Ashoka at Skoll World Forum:
o Liaise with each Ashoka team members to optimize their presence at the forum and co create workshops with visiting Fellows, Staff and coming delegates
o Facilitate all the logistics for the team before, during and after the Forum (planning, role and responsibilities, transport, accommodation, catering, etc.)
o Coordinate network outreach: invitation, guest list and follow up
o Organise 2 networking events during the forum
· Supervise contact management and network outreach on through our CRM tools Salesforce
o Assure a regular update of the team’s new contacts and contact accuracy on Salesforce
o Carry on the improvement of Ashoka UK contact management process
· Support any ad hoc projects
International Fellows and Visits (40%):
- Co-ordinate visits, connection and need assessment for Ashoka Staff and Ashoka Fellows visiting
- Track and report any engagement and measure Ashoka UK’s impact on visiting Fellows
- Administrate new engagements with business experts and donors, and strengthening relationships with existing partners
Admin and team support (10%):
· Working under the supervision of the office manager, provide day-to-day admin support to the UK team
· Support the team on any ad hoc project
Required Skills and Experience
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
· Demonstrated track record in producing high quality written materials
· Ability to work productively, proactively and independently, on own initiative
· Excellent time management skills
· Organised and detail-oriented
· Experience in the citizen sector, either as a social entrepreneur or a volunteer, trustee etc.