Have you got a passion for the idea that business can be used to do good things in the world? Do issues of social and environmental justice drive you to take action? Do you have experience working with charities or NGOs? Are you a student or a recent grad looking to start a career in sustainability or communications? Do you want an internship with as much free Fairtrade ice cream as you can shake a scoop at?
Values-led ice cream company Ben & Jerry’s is offering an internship in their European HQ based in the ‘Barn’ in Datchet, Berkshire.
About Ben & Jerry’s
Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc., started in 1978 in a renovated gas station in Burlington, Vermont, USA, founded by childhood friends and dedicated activists Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield. In 2000 Ben & Jerry’s became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Unilever whilst maintaining an independent Board of Directors to provide leadership focused on preserving and expanding Ben & Jerry's social mission, brand integrity, and product quality. Nowadays our products are distributed in 35 countries in supermarkets, grocery stores, convenience stores, franchise Ben & Jerry’s Scoop Shops, restaurants and other venues.
At Ben & Jerry’s we have an inspiring ambition. We aim to pioneer our ‘linked prosperity business model’ to advance the global movement for social and economic justice while growing our sales to one billion € by 2020. Therefore we are expanding rapidly in Europe as well as in new markets in Asia and Latin America. This translates into a high-paced growth environment where we bring our grassroots and activist spirit every day. That is how we remain a true values-led organisation with a connected 3 part mission, which you will find reflected in your goals and aspirations:
mission: to initiate innovative ways to
improve the quality of life locally, nationally and internationally
2) Product mission: to make and distribute the finest quality all natural and super premium ice-cream and euphoric concoctions
3) Economic mission: to operate the Company on a sustainable financial basis of profitable growth
Role & Responsibilities
The role will be within the Social Mission team, which looks to use the voice of the company to create impact in communities around the world, either through values-led programmes such as Fairtrade or Caring Dairy, or through external advocacy campaigns focusing on issues of social and environmental justice. The role will specifically involve:
· Assisting the European Social Mission Manger in developing regional Social Mission programmes and campaigns across 18 countries in Europe.
· Developing effective relationships with relevant internal and external stakeholders to achieve established goals and objectives for new and existing Social Mission initiatives.
· Supporting European countries in Social Mission related initiatives providing guidance on local Social Mission activation.
· Supporting the UK Ben & Jerry’s team to activate Social Mission campaigns, including the following tasks and others that may arise during campaigning:
o Organising events with NGO partners
o Logistical support for Social Mission activities
o Creating blog posts for the UK website
o Management of our central procurement system for Social Mission activities
· Develop Social Mission content for websites and social media
· Provide direction and achievable plans to bring Ben & Jerry’s Social Mission “activism” to life in Europe, understanding the different country cultures and stages of development in Europe.
· Support the Social Mission Manager in ongoing sustainability related projects for the company: Fairtrade sourcing, Reduction of Environmental Impact and Caring Dairy.
· Work closely with the digital, social media, PR and marketing teams to support the delivery of Social Mission consumer facing campaigns in the UK and across Europe.
Skills & Experience
Given Ben & Jerry’s unique position within Unilever, the ability to build excellent relationships within both Unilever and Ben & Jerry’s will be essential. We are looking for people who can ultimately leverage the marketing excellence and operational effectiveness that is built by Unilever – while preserving the 3 part mission and community of connectivity within Ben & Jerry’s. Having the right energy and attitude to connect both parts of our organisation will be critical for success. Our kind of candidate exhibit:
· Passion for sustainability and social action
· Values ethical brands
· Good analytical thinker
· Smart and swift
· Passion for communication
· Background studies, at least in part, in sustainability, communication or marketing
· Interest in emerging digital channels
· Interest in PR, or a strong grasp of what makes a good story
· Recently completed, or working towards the completion, of an Undergraduate degree
Our people profile
To support out 3-part mission, Ben & Jerry’s also has an outspoken people-mission. We look for people with these characteristics to strengthen our team:
- Purpose-driven: passion and drive to make a real impact with through our Social Mission
- Empathy: curious to collaborate with a variety of personalities and styles and to build excellent relationships with internal & external stakeholders – this includes cross-functional relationships and striving for collaborative success
- Mastery: continuously learn, grow and develop to contribute to B&Js
- Autonomy: dare to make choices and take ownership
- Activism: interested in bringing about political or social connectivity
Benefits and Skills Development
The accepted applicant will get a hands-on practical experience in sustainability at a large multinational company, as well as working closely with our digital, social media, PR and marketing teams to gain valuable experience.
Location: This internship will be based in Ben &Jerry’s European Office in Berkshire
Contract: 12 months, starting in mid-September 2015
Environment: We offer a multinational working environment in addition to the possibility of a full time job with us in the future.