Time commitment: 4 months full time starting in September 2015 (with an option to extend)
Location: Ashoka UK’s office at 15 Old Ford Road, Bethnal Green, London, E2 9PJ
Volunteer position – expenses covered: London Travel Card Zones 1-2 + £5 per day for lunch
Please note that you must be eligible to work in the UK to apply for any paid or unpaid position at Ashoka UK.
Ashoka is a global association of the world’s leading social entrepreneurs – men and women with systems changing solutions for the world’s most urgent social problems. Since 1981, we have elected over 3,000 outstanding social entrepreneurs as Ashoka Fellows, providing them with living stipends, professional support, and access to a global network of peers in 80 countries. Ashoka UK is in its eighth year of electing fellows and has currently elected 32 leading UK social entrepreneurs to the Ashoka fellowship. Please see www.uk.ashoka.org and www.ashoka.org for more details.
Role and Responsibilities
Do you have an eye for the next big thing in social enterprise? Here in the Venture team at Ashoka, we’re bringing together the UK’s most ambitious, effective changemakers. We’re finding the most important people working on the frontline of social change.
As Team Venture we’re conducting the search and selection of innovative social entrepreneurs in the UK. We’re looking for someone who can investigate promising candidates, and make a strong, detailed case for the best candidates. The role consists of managing the pipeline of candidates, doing in-depth research on potential candidates, co-leading interviews with the Venture manager, make final decision on candidates in weekly pipeline meetings. Before selection panels the Venture team compiles research, does benchmarking, site visits, reference checks and write extensive documents on a candidate’s work.
There will also be a chance to help with the work that keep the Ashoka office ticking, under the supervision of the Operations Associate. This might mean working with our database of contacts to improve Ashoka’s reach, or it might mean working on the day to day office management that empowers our team.
Our new team mate will ideally have experience in the social sector and a personal track record of taking the lead. We hope that they will be as excited as we are to build Ashoka’s community partnerships.
Meet the Team
You’ll love working with the Ashoka UK team! We’re a bright, motivated group – who are determined to change the world.
· Carrying out research into leading social entrepreneurs in the UK
· Evaluating candidates with the Venture team and presenting research on short-listed candidates in the form of a concise ‘profile’
· Assisting the co-ordination of annual Fellow Selection Panels
· Attending networking events to raise Ashoka UK’s profile and increase the number of applications
· Meeting with leaders in the non-profit / venture philanthropy world to build our network of nominators
- Support the UK team with database management on Salesforce
· Working under the supervision of the office manager, provide day-to-day admin support to the UK team
Required Skills and Experience
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
· Demonstrated track record in producing high quality written materials
· Ability to work productively, proactively and independently, on own initiative
· Excellent time management skills
· Organised and detail-oriented
· Experience in the citizen sector, either as a social entrepreneur or a volunteer, trustee etc.