Time commitment: 6 months 2.5 days a week starting in June 2015- Apply now!
Location: Home based/ Ashoka UK’s office at 15 Old Ford Road, Bethnal Green, London, E2 9PJ
Volunteer position – expenses covered: Travel Zones 1-2 + £5 per day for lunch
Please note that you must be eligible to work in the UK at the time of application to apply for any paid or unpaid position at Ashoka UK.
Ashoka is a global association of the world’s leading social entrepreneurs – men and women with systems changing solutions for the world’s most urgent social problems. Since 1981, we have elected over 3,000 outstanding social entrepreneurs as Ashoka Fellows, providing them with living stipends, professional support, and access to a global network of peers in 80 countries. Ashoka UK is in its eighth year of electing fellows and has currently elected more than 30 leading UK social entrepreneurs to the Ashoka fellowship. Please see www.uk.ashoka.org and www.ashoka.org for more details.
Role and Responsibilities
Do you live in the digital sphere? Are you the first to hear about the next big thing in social enterprise? We are looking for a tech savvy, creative Communications Volunteer to join our team at Ashoka UK. We’d love to hear from you if you love social entrepreneurship and innovation, and we’re keen to find someone to provide ongoing core support to all aspects of Ashoka’s internal and external communications and events. Our new team mate will be working on Ashoka UK’s key communications campaigns, helping with marketing materials, organising events, as well as interacting with our international and UK fellows. We’re looking for someone who will relish the opportunity to work with Ashoka’s valuable wider network of system changing entrepreneurs.
Meet the Team
You’ll love working with the Ashoka UK team! We’re a bright, motivated group – who are determined to change the world. We share our successes and deal with our failures together. We’ll never forget your birthday and we’re always happy to hear your new ideas.
Communications and Media (90%):
· Support the UK Comms team integrated media campaigns, on topics ranging from youth entrepreneurship, to social innovation, to business alliances, to online competitions with corporate partners
· Support the UK Comms team with design and development of marketing materials
· Support the UK Comms team with content copywriting, editing and syndicating
· Manage daily Social Media calendar: Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, YouTube
· Source and curate rich content for Ashoka’s social media channels, e.g. video, image and audio content
· Engage the team in our communications efforts, working collegially within the UK and Europe
· Support the UK team with database management on Salesforce
· Provide day-to-day admin support to the UK team
· Gain valuable skills/training in social media for the non-profit sector
· Work from the office or from home
· Enjoy flexible working hours
· Meet leading social entrepreneurs from around the world and gain invaluable insights in the social enterprise sector
Required Skills and Experience
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
· Demonstrated track record in producing high quality written materials
· Ability to work productively, proactively and independently, on own initiative
· Excellent time management skills
· Highly organised, efficient and detail-oriented
· Experience in the citizen sector, either as a social entrepreneur or a volunteer, trustee etc.
· Experience of content management systems (CMS), social media, email marketing tools and online content applications