Prakti is searching for a Mechanical Engineer to join its team near Pondicherry, in the Auroville area (South India).
Prakti is social enterprise that develops, manufactures, and distributes clean and efficient cook stoves. Prakti stoves help protect forests and the environment by reducing the consumption of biomass fuel for cooking. Prakti stoves also enable significant reductions of cooking fuel expenses, contributing to the economic empowerment of users. As well, Prakti stoves help protect the health of users by reducing toxic smoke compared to traditional cook stoves.
• Develop new products and refine existing clean cook stove products to improve performance, usability, and cost.
• Research comparative product designs, analyze product requirements, generate concepts, produce models, develop and test new materials, rapid prototype, test products
• Document engineering processes and develop manufacturing, testing, user and maintenance manuals
• Ensure products meet quality, safety, production, and sales requirements
• Undergraduate or graduate degree in mechanical engineering and at least 2 years of
professional experience including interaction with industrial designers and manufacturers
• Passion for designing quality, appropriate products that support poverty alleviation
• Strong skills in research, modeling, rapid prototyping. Strong knowledge of combustion, thermodynamics, heat transfer, materials, manufacturing processes.
• Must be self-motivated, organized, and detail-oriented. Must be able to multi-task, problem-solve, and prioritize in fast-paced, multi-disciplinary, collaborative environments
• Strong, verbal, written, visual presentation skills (proficient in Word, Excel, Powerpoint).
Must be able to communicate effectively across cultures and across functions (with design, manufacturing, and marketing colleagues).
• Proficiency in English is a must and proficiency in Indian, Bangladeshi, and Nepali languages is preferred.
• Candidates must be able to obtain an India visa and be willing to work in India.
• Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
What will you find at Prakti?
Great working atmosphere. A team of 8 very nice, passionned, diverse and commited people. Challenging work. Beautiful work location, in the middle of nature. We have good access to internet, and we are close to all you might need: 5 minutes away from the beach, shops, restaurants, other social businesses, foresty area of Auroville.
The office is next to Auroville, unique place of social experiment, with many innovative social and environmental businesses. We are 10 minutes from Pondicherry, former French colony and a medium-size (for India) city with a lot of charm.
Delicious South Indian food!