Time commitment: 3 months full time starting in September 2014
Location: Ashoka UK’s office at 15 Old Ford Road, Bethnal Green, London, E2 9PJ
Volunteer position – expenses covered: London Travel Card Zones 1-2 + £5 per day for lunch
Ashoka is the largest network of social entrepreneurs worldwide, with nearly 3,000 Ashoka Fellows in 70 countries putting their system changing ideas into practice on a global scale. Founded by Bill Drayton in 1980, Ashoka has provided start-up financing, professional support services, and connections to a global network across the business and social sectors, and a platform for people dedicated to changing the world. Ashoka launched the field of social entrepreneurship and has activated multi-sector partners across the world who increasingly look to entrepreneurial talent and new ideas to solve social problems.
Ashoka Fellows remain the core of our community, and their insights show us how the world is moving and what is needed next. Ashoka's mission has evolved beyond catalysing individual entrepreneurs to enabling an ‘everyone a changemaker’ world. This means equipping more people – including young people – with the skillset and a connection to purpose so that they can contribute ideas and effectively solve problems at whatever scale is needed in their family, community, city, workplace, field, industry, country. This evolution comes from the urgent realization that the pace of change is accelerating in an increasingly complex and interconnected world. Our strategic initiatives focus on setting in motion the people, resources and ecosystems that will bring about a social revolution where everyone contributes to change for the good of all. Working in partnership with private, philanthropic and citizen sector players we are achieving large-scale social innovation that is grounded in decades of entrepreneurial experience.
Role and Responsibilities
We are looking for an entrepreneurial, bright and details-oriented individual with a passion for social entrepreneurship and innovation to join our team for 3 months. The role will primarily involve working on Ashoka’s Changemaker Schools programme – the search and selection of leading education institutions which prioritise empathy and changemaking as student outcomes. The activities associated with this role involve carrying out careful research on nominated primary and secondary schools, research and outreach to education related media and fundraising.
The successful candidate will have experience of the citizen sector (social sector/ not-for-profits) in their extra-curricular activities, and a track record of taking initiative. The role would suit someone who is inquisitive and self-motivated, organised and details-oriented, and has an interest in education.
We expect the candidate to enthusiastically join in our core organisational activities as well. This is a great opportunity to experience working in the not-for-profit or social enterprise sectors and take on considerable responsibility.
Scope of work
Changemaker Schools Research (40% or 2 days a week):
· Carrying out research into nominated primary and secondary schools;
· Evaluating school candidates and reaching out to shortlisted schools;
· Co-ordinating events and meetings with Changemaker Schools;
· Administrating Changemaker Schools on Salesforce.
Media Research (20% or 1 day a week):
- Researching and contacting media interested in innovation in education;
- Supporting the communications team in leveraging the impact of our work with Changemaker Schools.
Fundraising Research (30% or 1.5 day a week):
- Research and administer potential funding opportunities for Changemaker Schools.
Admin (10% or 0.5 day a week):
· Provide day-to-day admin support to the UK team.
Required Skills and Experience
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
· Demonstrated track record in producing high quality research and written materials;
· Ability to work productively, proactively and independently, on own initiative;
· Excellent time management skills;
· Organised and detail-oriented;
· Experience in the citizen sector, either as a social entrepreneur or a volunteer, trustee etc.