Yunus Social Business (YSB) is an international advisory and implementation company focussing on creating social businesses worldwide. A social business is a new kind of organization that combines the strengths of both civil society and the business world. Social businesses have a social or environmental mission – like NGOs – but are financially self-sustainable – like businesses. YSB was co-founded by Saskia Bruysten, Sophie Eisenmann, and Nobel Peace Laureate Muhammad Yunus, founder of the microfinancing organization Grameen Bank as well as a variety of Social Businesses in Bangladesh and worldwide.
We at YSB are currently a team of 20 people with backgrounds in strategy consulting, venture capital, entrepreneurship, civil society, and international development. A social business ourselves, we report directly to Prof. Yunus, and we are part of the Grameen network of over 40 social businesses and more than 50,000 employees. Grameen/Yunus projects, in microfinance and in social business, have been implemented in more than 50 countries around the world. Our main office is in Frankfurt, Germany; our country offices include Albania, Haiti, and Brazil, with two more country offices (Tunisia, Togo) to be opened in the near future.
Main responsibilities of the Fundraising Consultant:
We are looking for starting a Fundraising Consultant from January 2014 for a minimum of 3 months, based in Frankfurt am Main, Germany. The Fundraising Consultant will report to the Fundraising team, and have the following duties:
• Develop and maintain marketing material for information on YSB, its incubator funds and social businesses;
• Identification of potential funding sources, including research into international donor agencies, foundations, NGOs, corporations and individual donors;
• Initiating and managing relationships with potential partners, including drafting initial proposals, preparing due diligence documents and compiling detailed funding proposals where required;
• Coordination of fundraising and networking events, such as: investor lunches, dinners, and round tables with the YSB management team and/or Yunus, and external conferences and seminars;
• Preparation of presentations for events and seminars;
• Managing YSB’s social media, website and communication platforms, including updating with latest news and activity updates, and improvement of reach and performace;
• Interact closely with all YSB project teams to ensure that partnership and cooperation opportunities are fully developed in the field;
• Other, more project-specific tasks may also be part of your role, depending on needs and availability.
Candidates should have the following qualities, skills and experience:
• A university degree in economics, business administration, marketing, communications or related fields;
• Excellent time management and communication skills. You should be able to manage projects independently without a lot of guidance, and to be able to manage several projects at the same time under time pressure;
• Excellent PowerPoint and presentation skills, creativity and attention to detail;
• Sensitivity to customer needs. YSB works with clients from a wide range of industries and backgrounds, you need to be comfortable thinking outside the box;
• Fluent written and oral English; German an advantage;
• At least two years of experience in at least two of the following
o Professional services e.g. management consulting, banking, marketing, PR, communications
o Strategic, financial or general-management divisions of private-sector businesses (large corporations or SMEs)
o Marketing and communications in corporate environments or as an independent consultant
o International NGOs, with experience in fundraising activities;
• Command of business consulting tools, especially Excel modelling, business-plan analysis, interview techniques, and research.
• Commitment to serving society’s needs a high level of personal integrity and teamwork spirit.